Would you pick up a Taurus PT-99

Viper99

In decent shape for less than $200 or are these guns a total waste? Anyone has any experience with these guns?

Regards,

Isk

I would buy THAT particular Taurus model for less than $200, absolutely. My first handgun was a Taurus PT-101, the .40, adjustable sight version of the PT99. Great gun, no malfunctions, de-cocker, could also be carried cocked and locked. Among Taurus guns, those are probably some of the best.

ScaryWoody

For a few dollars more you can find new/used USA made higher quality pistol. Taurus is hot or miss. Many misses out there. Cheap, yes. Yes, Cheap.

scottycoyote

yep tarus's you have to go on a case by case basis, just research reviews on individual guns. Some of the revolvers are fine...ive had a featherweight 38 that is a s7w knockoff, fine gun. Had a milpro pt145, heck of a nice concealed carry high cap 45. Had one of the early judge revolvers and it was awful.

Skans

I had a PT99 which I purchased new around 1988. After less than 500 rounds, the locking block broke, locking up the barrel, slide, and frame. Some pieces of the broken block wedged their way between the slide and aluminum frame. Not knowing that there was something seriously wrong with the gun and thinking it was only a stuck case, I tried several times to yank the slide back. This cause the steel shards to gouge the aluminum frame rails.

Fast forward, it took me over 6 months to have my gunsmith get a new locking block installed. It worked, but I was very disappointed with the condition of the gouged frame rails.

The "fix" for this problem came out years later. The "fix" requires the barrel to be cut into two parts to get the gun disassembled. Then, you need a new barrel and locking block.

If you do buy it then:

1. Check the frame rails for damage
2. Inspect the slide closely for rust
3. Toss the locking block and install a good new one. If the new Beretta locking block will fit (beefed up to address this problem) then use that one. I have not been able to determine if the Beretta locking blocks can be fitted to the Taurus PT99.

Another minor problem I had with mine was the slide rusted through the thin nickel coating a bit in the rear grooves of the slide. I bought this gun new and ditched it for a S&W 659 as soon as I got it back from the gunsmith.

I acknowledge that some folks have had good luck with this gun - just not me.

New information on the older PT99 locking block - this guy had a problem fitting a newer Beretta LB to his Taurus:

Hi all,

A little while back, I bought a new Beretta 92 locking block as a replacement for the one in my old (circa 1991) PT-99.

I just tried to install it and discovered that the Beretta locking block will not fit in my PT-99's barrel. The old Taurus locking block as a radiused rear whereas the new Beretta has a small ledge on the rear making it difficult to install and impossible to fit flat on the barrel.

I actually got the Beretta block stuck on my Taurus barrel. I had to gently tap it free with a small block of soft wood. :/

So, _IF_ I ever have problems with the original locking block, then I'll need to get a new barrel to fit to the replacement locking block.

FWIW, I see no problems at all with the current locking block.

Last edited:

tallball

The PT99's are slightly modified copies of the Beretta 92. Taurus bought the Beretta factory in Brazil and just kept on making Berettas. They even improved the safety. I have owned mine since 1990 or so and it has been excellent. People eager to critcize a gun which they have never owned, fired, or possibly even seen never fail to amaze me. Of course, if they have owned one and had problems, they have every right to complain.

A functioning PT99 for $200 is a bargain.

(They also have a lifetime warranty which is not restricted to the original owner.)

DaleA

Taurus PT-99 the adjustable sight version of the Taurus PT-92 which is a clone of the Beretta 92 except the safety is on the frame like a 1911 instead of on the slide. All are 9mm.

If it's in good shape for that price I'd go for it.

From what I've heard *lots* of Taurus guns never have problems and Taurus has decent customer support for the ones that do and the quality of the 92 series has been pretty good.

Obviously some folk here have had problems with them but we occasionally see problems with S&W and even Ruger too.

Shrug.

If the one your looking at looks okay, once again I'd say take a chance on it.

I've shot some and liked 'em. They are a 'full size' gun (read heavy) and have pretty large grips and hold 17+1 rounds.

P.S. Or just read Tallball's post right above mine. Dang these guys that type fast and have their thoughts in order!!!

Gus90

Yes for less than $200 its a steal of a gun. I got a PT-92C a few years ago on a trade and absolutely love it. Runs 100% of the time, its not picky about ammo, the taurus guns built on beretta designs are some of the best bargain guns out there, but as always if possible with a used gun I would want to shoot it before I buy and be sure to thoroughly inspect it for signs of misuse/abuse and or damage.

TomADC

I've owned the 92 and still have my 101 zero problems, don't know how their current crop of guns are but my older guns are great, sold the 92 to a friend years ago he is still shooting it.

Skans

For those of you who think the PT99 from the early '90's / late '80's are bargains, they really aren't. I paid in the high $300 for mine in 1988, IIRC around $390. Most good quality guns will appreciate, if nicely kept. This one doesn't. Why? Because they were prone to breaking. And, some time about 10 or so years ago, Beretta re-designed their locking blocks to correct this problem. So, you're basically buying a gun with a known problem that was later re-designed to address this problem. Please, look at the "ears" on the older locking blocks - they were poorly designed. Also, locking blocks are not simple drop-in parts; not if you want them to function correctly - they need to be properly fitted.

I've been following this problem for over 25 years. I know something about this - at least now you are informed.

DaleA

I've been following this problem for over 25 years. I know something about this - at least now you are informed.

Thank you Skans for speaking up on this. I still might be on the look out for one but having more information never hurts and I really do appreciate the way you put your information out there for us to read, that is, you don't yell, or go over the top with blanket condemnations you just state very clearly what you found wrong with them. These kind of comments are why I like this site.

Kreyzhorse

I'd pass.

While any manufacturer can spit out a lemon, including S&W and Ruger, how they respond is what matters. S&W and Ruger stand behind their products while Taurus has a well deserved reputation for pretty bad customer service.

tallball

Here is mine. I don't know how many thousands of rounds I've put through it in the past 25 years. It still functions perfectly. I have owned about a dozen Taurii and only had trouble with one, which they fixed for free even though I bought it used. YMMV.

Taurus20PT99_zpsbt71fmxs.jpg

+1k ammo

Pt-99 s.s.
Taurus 1911
Snub nose s.s. ported revolver
Polymer frame snub revolver- new

All perform perfectly.

Didn't know about the locking block problem, in ll look to see what year my pt99 is.

But I still like it. I would get the ghn for 200. Sounds good deal.

smee78

Just because a gun was redesigned to make it better does not make it a bad gun. If you believed that then you would say that all older Berettas 92'that are not the current production models are bad guns and the older model S&W guns with a older dash number below the current production model is a bad design. :rolleyes: For sub $200 go for it, just check it out good before purchase. Even a average shooter could be good trading fodder later if you dont like it. I'm saying go for it and I have had bad luck with Taurus revolvers. A shooting buddy of mine has one of the 92 models and it has thousands of rounds with out any problems.

marine6680

I would pick one up, then put it right back down again. :D

All joking aside, I hear that that model is one of their better offerings.

iraiam

I have both the PT92 and a PT99, both early 90's models. They have both functioned flawlessly with a few thousand rounds through each, I admit that I don't soot them much anymore. The 92 was my tent/camp gun for a lot of years and was packed all over, it has seen some rough handling an rough weather, it has proven itself reliable.

I used the 99 for target shooting, not sure if it's even been in a holster, the 99 has adjustable sights.

Last edited:

CaptainO

Given Taurus' spotty QC

I don't know how much the Taurus "full-sized" 9mm would be worth. Maybe you'll get lucky, maybe not.

Follow your heart. If you buy it, I wish you all the best of luck. let us know how it works out.

amd6547

I bought a used, like new PT92 last year for $265. It was made in 1997.
Tried it out at the range, it worked perfectly and shot very accurately.
Since I didn't know it's history, I decided to replace the locking block.
I ordered a locking block kit from Beretta pretty cheaply. It came with the latest third gen block, a new block pin, and a new recoil spring.
Just like a Beretta 92FS with the older block, the pin has to be replaced.
The kit dropped right in with no problem.

I'm no Taurus fan, but the 92 is probably the best, most trouble free gun they ever made. As for the PT99, I've heard they have a tendency to break or lose parts of the rear sight. If I owned one, I would set them and epoxy them together. Some Beretta 92FS owners lament the current versions with plastic guide rod and plastic coated parts. An older PT92 is all forged steel (except for the aluminum frame, of course).

I bought mine because I was missing a Beretta 92FS I traded away a few years ago. The PT92 I got seems to be the equal of the Beretta I once owned, while having nice polished blue slide flats.
I'm very glad I got it, and for $265, it was a fantastic deal.

12yds:

Last edited: