Would You Have Bought a New S&W?

Gunslinger

This thread, http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=67480, begs the question;

If Saf T Hammer would have dumped the agreement would you have purchased a new Smith & Wesson within the next six months to a year?
I had four guns on my list;
A 629 Extreme,
a 629 fixed sighted snubby,
a 945 and
a Schofield.
Those and at least a thousand bucks worth of parts. All total a ton of money (for me at least) over the next twelve months.
So if they would have rescended the agreement would you have bought a new Smith? Would they have made it?

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Yes - I would have. If not a 945, then something else... if anything to show support.

No, I will not buy ANYTHING now. I've passed up brand new folding knives for only 15 bucks because of the S&W name on it. (the knives are better than the guns)

Very likely yes, a Triple Lock or a Schofield.

But, since it doesn't look like they're going to be doing anything about the "agreement" anytime soon, they can continue to rot in hell.

Stephen Ewing

Had my eye on a new 41. Wouldn't mind a 66, either. I was happy with the pistols I owned from them in the past, and regret having to dump them for moral reasons.

Too bad those are apparently impossible, now.

Steve

AR-10

I would have bought at least one, possibly more.

I will be buying a short barrel .44Special or .44Magnum soon. And there are a couple of Performance Center models I lust after. Oh well, I'll look at Taurus or Charter Arms.

Either the Agreement goes, or no new Smiths for me.

Jeff OTMG

Sure liked the looks of the 952, but the ones I really want are the 610 and the Scandium .357 J-frame. Fortunately I can get a 610 that is used pre-agreement, all I have to do is keep looking. Eventually the .357 will show up on the used market as well due to someone not liking the recoil, after all, that is how I got my 342.

fubsy

Yes.....and at the st. pete gun show this weekend I noticed a general down playing the values of pre-agreement smiths, as the norm among the venders........quite surprised by that actually, but they all were pushing the idea that semi's are the rage and wheels dont sell......fubsy.

C.R.Sam

If they had, for openers, refuted the agreements; infinately greater chance that I would buy a new Smith.

Tis a strange looking deal. Little bitty company that has no money and shows no profit, yet can float enough to buy Smith. I guess the tangible assets are enough to back the loan(s). Wild guess, another new owner will show up after the financier repos the assets.

Sam

Yes, I would have bought two for sure; a 686 with an 8 3/8" barrel and a Performance Shop 627. I have considered a 41 also. I jumped the gun and bought the Performance Center 627 a day or two after they were sold as a wedding gift for a friend. I would reconsider now.

croyance

Yes. My wish list includes:

686 with 6" barrel
pair of J-frame .357 magnums
625 5" barrel

The metal works portion of S&W alone should be worth more than Saf-T-Lok.

Oh, yeah. A mountain gun or that concealable .44 Special.

Wheelguns dead? I don't think so. Most of what I have are semi-autos. Now that I learned some proficiency, more revolvers sound real good. Bozo.

boing

Yes. Wanted a 629 for my first wheelgun, had a good deal at hand, and went with a well-worn Dan Wesson instead. Another revolver is aways down the list, but with a renouncement of The Deals, a new Smith .357 would eclipse all other purchase priorities.

Too bad for them.

David Roberson

I'd have bought a 610 for certain and probably a Schofield. Instead, I'll continue my boycott. (I recently passed up a good deal on a flashlight because it had the dreaded S&W logo on it.)

Death to S&W.

HankB

No question, a Scandium J-frame .357 is in my future when - and if - the sellout agreement is ever repudiated in a satisfactory manner. And maybe a 5" M29 with the lugged barrel. But I'm not holding my breath. (I used to have a brass S&W belt buckle I'd wear often. Even though it's pre-ban, it's NOT a part of my wardrobe now!)

RWK

I will not buy anything from S&W under the current political environment . . . however, I would happily by two more "N" frames -- a 610 and a 625 -- if/when they again become supporters of the US Constitution.