Would this be legal?

czc3513

I made this with mswpaint and a couple pix from the internet.
Its not perfect but I was short on time.
Would something like this be legal without a permit?
What if the bike powers a generater that powers a engine that pulls a trigger really fast?
I bet that there is a legal way around the full auto ban.
:D
attachment.php

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Q & A

Q: " Would something like this be legal without a permit?"

A: No.

With the application of motor power to a Gatling gun, it becomes a machine gun. Just closing the switch or engaging the clutch to apply power constitutes "a single operation of the firing device."

For a minute there, I thought you'd had the same idea that crossed my mind many years ago: Turning the barrels by human power through the operation of pedals. It never fascinated me enough to explore the legalitiy of such. I was more charmed at the idea of a half-sized reproduction of the classic Gatling Police Gun, complete with both artillery carriage and tripod mount. THAT, we know is legal. :p Unfortunately, it is also quite expensive by the time you pay someone to do the intensive machine work required.

Best,
Johnny

VUPDblue

The way I understand it, anything other than your hand actually operating the crank device is a "motor". ie: The bicycle apparatus would thereby be considered the "motor"

mxwelch

The way I understand it, anything other than your hand actually operating the crank device is a "motor". ie: The bicycle apparatus would thereby be considered the "motor"
I might be wrong but I don't believe that is correct. As long as effort is made to fire each shot it's legal. A bike apparatus is just another form of a crank.

VUPDblue

I might be wrong but I don't believe that is correct. As long as effort is made to fire each shot it's legal. A bike apparatus is just another form of a crank
This seems to be a very interesting quandry. My take on the law here is that any device that is entered into the firing equation makes for a "motor" whether it is a man-powered or electric powered device. ie: if you hooked your 18V DeWalt to the crank, that is an illegal motor b/c the act of pulling the "trigger" of the drill makes it the trigger for the whole system even though the operation is not changed. Seriously, though, we need to get BATFE to settle this. Maybe I will attach a letter with my next Form 4...think they would answer...?:D

WillBrayjr

Better paying the $5,600.00 for a bb gun then paying several thousand more for the experiment and possibly getting charged with a 10 year/$10,000.00 felony where big bubba could ream you a new southernhole. I'd rather pay the $5,600.00 instead and will if I ever get the money;)