Would Open Carry with an IWB Holster be legal?

Sixer

I was thinking about this the other day. OC is legal where I live. I've had my CCW for a couple years now and have never carried in the open unless out in the woods or at home.

Most of my holsters are IWB becasue they conceal easier for me... So just for fun, lets say I decided to OC for a while using an IWB holster. How would this work?

My firearm would be partially visible and partially conealed at the same time. Mind you, this is NOT something I plan on doing. But just for conversation, would this be considered OC, CC, or possibly some sort of CCW "no no"?

Basically, can you OC (where legal) with an IWB holster?

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Legally speaking, there is no "partially visible" (within reason). If it's visible then it's visible. Uncovered IWB carry leaves a substantial portion of the gun visible, it's not like your splitting hairs in an area where it would be illegal anyways.

azredhawk44

I've got a friend that does it often when we go to the range on the weekends. Takes off his cover shirt but is wearing his pistol IWB.

Mostly just does it AT the range, but sometimes for lunch afterwards as well.

I do it sometimes, too. Not under the same circumstances though... more like if I'm at home and have a pistol IWB, and I end up needing to run to the mailbox or get something out of the car. Something trivial like that.

Never got any flack from the neighbors for it, but AZ is pretty gun friendly. Even in soccermom suburbia where I live.

Van55

It depends entirely on the law of your state.

Here in Virginia the law provides:

If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

[Bold added by me.]

Virginia permits open carry. Assuming one has a Virginia permit the question is moot, as one is permitted to carry openly OR "hidden from common observation."

That said, Virginia law forbids even a permit holder from carrying concealed in an establishment that is licensed to sell alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption. Since it is a matter of interpretation whether a handgun in an IWB holster is "hidden from common observation," I would not be inclined to go into a bar carrying that way.

Mr. James

The simple asnwer is yes. All an IWB holster does is secure the gun, well, inside your waist band. Absent a cover garment, the grip, rear of the slide and/or hammer, etc. are clearly visible above your waist band. Hence, you are now open carrying. If open carry is your choice and is legal, but you like IWB holsters for the concealment options they offer, or for comfort, carry on. :p

Jim March

One tricky part about Missouri is that local governments are allowed to do local bans on open carry. Makes it damned tricky.

Because of that, it's not going to be common even if you work out the "safe zones" and because of THAT, I wouldn't do anything as "edgy" as IWB OC.