across as a tendency to group "them" and "us" and treat "them" (those who do
not know how to shoot) as stupid, inferior, or of little consequence. I've
seen it at gun shops where a clerk talks down to a newbie asking what "we
grizzled veterans" might think a simple question. But every time we do
this, we shoot ourselves in the foot. We tear open the gap that keeps the
"rest of the world" from understanding and appreciating our position. Given
the terrible political and litigious climate facing us today, we simply do
not have that luxury any more. We must all recognize that we must be very
positive vocal ambassadors for the Second Amendment.

A guy came by our booth at the SHOT show and, seeing a fundamental message
on gun safety, sneered "anybody who doen't know how to shoot deserves to
shoot themself". What a moronic position, and this from a guy in the gun
industry! Nobody is born with safety knowledge - not for cars, sharp
objects, poisons, electricity... we learn by experience (the "hard way") or
by somebody teaching us (the "easy way"). By his insipid commentary he
thought to make himself out to be some big, tough know-it-all, and instead,
he merely demonstrated the ignorance that has put us in the place we are
today.

We all need to take upon ourselves to be teachers; to share the knowledge
that will cut down the number of accidents and injuries that, in turn,
directly threaten our gun rights. We no longer have the luxury of scoffing
or saying "they get what they deserve". WE are paying the price for the
ignorance of others; WE are being blamed for damage caused by uneducated and
irresponsible individuals. WE must become active in this cause because WE
are the ones who believe in the Second Amendment and our rights to keep and
bear arms.

I would encourage everyone who is not already involved to look into things
like the NRA Education & Training Dept's Instructor program (via
http://www.nra.org). It is very inexpensive, it can be a great way to make
money as a side job giving classes (or you can host classes for free if you
are so inclined). If not, help out with the local Boy Scouts or 4H
organizations that have firearm safety programs, or start a program of your
own. In any case - become a vocal proponent of gun safety; write your
Congress, be a part. As the famous quote so correctly put, now is the time
we all hang together or [our gun rights] will surely all hang separately.

Michael Marks

What Micheal did not mention is that he is th e president of SafetyOn, LLC, the developers of the SafteyOn gun education software. Check out his site at www.safetyon.com .

Michael Marks

Greetings to all, and Rob, thanks for reprinting my post here and inviting me to join the TFL family. The site looks great! I do feel very strongly about the issue of gun safety and do want to stress to everyone that we need to be very vocal and assertive about promoting safety and defending our Second Amendment rights. Best wishes to all,
Michael

Jeff Thomas

Michael, welcome to TFL. And thanks to Rob for bringing that fine prose to us.

I have also noticed the second, 'jaded' view, in some gun shops I have entered. The overly-macho attitude, almost sneer with which you are greeted. When I ask about a product they don't have, I'm simply told 'we don't have it', instead of offering to order it for me, or directing me to another supplier. Even worse, instead of admitting they aren't aware of the product, they choose to BS me. I've seen the same thing at a range not far from here. When I asked about the differences between a Sig 220 and a 1911, some of them almost rolled their eyes. Does this happen in other retail stores? Sure - it just seems worse in a gun shop with so much at stake politically.

On the other hand, there are people like Hans Vang. You couldn't find a nicer guy. Patient, good sense of humor, aware of his industry and its politics. But, doesn't take it too seriously. And gives damn good advice and service. We have another great guy like this in AZ - Gary Lovetro with Arizona Gun Runners. Same experience. I'm sure you know many others.

If I had only met the first type I'd probably still be plinking with a Ruger Security Six and 10/22. But, I've met some great people, certainly including those on TFL. Now I am teaching friends about their firearm options, meeting more knowledgeable people every day, and making a few friends. Only downside is that my wallet it getting much lighter! ;)

1999 will be my year to further my education, and to give back by teaching others. Thanks for the reminder. More than ever, I agree that shooters must become diplomats.

Shooting1911

The issue raised by Michael Marks is much overdue. To be sure, these jaded, arrogant, "in the club" or "out of the club" attitudes have done more to harm the growth of shooting sports than just about anything else. Macho bravado turns away the wouldbe novice primarily because deep down inside every man (and woman) is the fear of looking foolish in front of other men. Watch visitors to an action pistol match. When invited to take part, the are extremely reluctant. Why, because it doesn't look fun? Of course not..its because "I might not do it right and look foolish." The critical, arrogant bravado found at many gunshops/shows/ranges sends the message to the newby of "He (they) will criticise me or ridicule me, so I'll just not say anything." Those of us who have been shooting for a long time may have forgotten what it was like to look into a totally new sport for the first time. It's a bit intimidating, and the critical attitude of vocal know-it-alls makes that a lot worse. Michael has voiced a very real problem in our old, established sport which we "can no longer afford." There is nothing a new shooter is more attracted to than a competent shooter who is available AND APPROACHABLE!!! We are truly the "ambassadors" of this sport, and we determine its future.

Here is the other very real problem mentioned above. The attitude that a person who doesn't know how to (fill in the blank) with a gun deserves to shoot themself. Again, what an adolescent attitude! Ignorance is not something to be ashamed of; it is something to be corrected. And besides, the person who is injured because of ignorance is not the one with the firearm, it is usually the bystander. I have treated several (that's right, more than one or two people) who were very seriously wounded because of the ignorant error of a person with a firearm. I can tell you NONE of the injured "deserved" the injury. The 4-year-old did not "deserve" it, the wife did not "deserve" it. The shooters themselves did not "deserve" it either. These arrogant people I am writing this diatribe about are summing up reality into such a convenient tidy bundle - so they can feel superior and "in the club" - that they miss the truth completely. Here it is again, in case you missed it:
"Quit preaching out of arrogance to the lowly, and start teaching with care, compassion, patience, and humility to your brother - The person, the children, the family member, and the gun rights you save might be your own."

Michael Marks

The sad part of this entire issue is that the negative attitudes DO come from a small minority of our fellow shooters; yet it is such a vocal and visible phenomenon that it affects a disproportionate amount of public view. From my own experience I would tell you that by and large I have found my fellow shooters to be courteous, friendly, very willing to share info and proud to show you their firearms at the range. While there are some incredible shop owners who really go the extra mile to be "ambassadors" for the Second Amendment and the shooting sports, I do believe that mixing work and this duty places a heavier burder on any individual. If every day you are asked the same question, it CAN get repetitive... but that is the job, and if we want this industry to continue and our freedoms free from attack, we MUST keep that in mind. Gunshop clerks and rangemasters are probably our most visible "front-liners"; they are the ones who meet the public, who get interviewed on TV. Gang, your role has evolved in the "big picture", and we are counting on you to keep in mind ALL of the ramifications of your attitude - not just to making one sale but every walk-up is a potential convert to the sport, a potential pro-gun voter. Hopefully we will value this and take every opportunity to sieze these valuable resources.

And to all those great shopowners, clerks and range officers who DO work so hard - my hat's off to you and my deep thanks! There is nothing like walking into a gun shop for only the second time and finding that the alert manager on his own initiative located a hard-to-find chicago set-screw you needed to repair a piece of leather-gear; long story I won't relay here, but the bottom line is I would have happily paid $5 for a 30-cent set-screw at that point, and the goodwill was worth zillions. I was an instant "regular" at the shop. (They had a neat policy also, when you came into the shop, the manager took every chance to introduce a newcomer to some of the "regulars" - right away I felt like I was wanted, and wanted to come back!)
Enuf for now... Thanks for listening!
All the best, Michael