Worth the money?

FunGramps

I have a chance to buy a NIB 1975 Winchester Model 94 30-30 for $1K. Plain Jane model.
I was looking at LNIB JM stamped Marlins, but those are the same price and more.
Is that year and model Winchester worth it? Seems others are hundreds more.
Thanks!

Blue Duck

IMHO, that's too high for a plain Jane 1975 Model 94. You need to go to a few gun shows. You should be able to find a fairly clean pre-64 Winchester 94 for 1K or probably 2 or 300 dollars less. I wouldn't give a thousand for that JM Marlin either, probably, unless it's a really nice one.

stagpanther

I've overpaid for a dinner date with a beautiful woman--sometimes it comes down to how special the opportunity is to you.;)

Scorch

$1,000 for a Winchester 94? Whooo! Sounds like a lot, but gun prices right now are crazy. You have to decide whether you need one that's LNIB. If you intend to collect post-64 Winchesters, then yeah, sure. There are not a lot of 50 year old LNIB rifles of any kind available.

If you intend to shoot it and use it, then why would you pay several hundred extra to get a LNIB gun when there are literally thousands of them all over the place for hundreds less?
https://www.gunsamerica.com/928027564/Winchester-94-Rifle-30-30-Wi.htm
https://www.gunsamerica.com/970631893/Winchester-94-Canadian-Centinnial-67-Rifle-30-30-Wi.htm
Best deal for years was the Canadian Centennial or Buffalo Bill Winchester 94s, they made thousands of them and they were available for less than a standard carbine for many years because people didn't want a shiny gun for hunting.

I guess my advice boils down to "look around and see what's available before you buy".

FunGramps

Thanks for the opinions. I'm in the leftern part of WA state (not by choice), hoping to get back to MT sanity again, so yeah, used but clean makes more sense. People here are considered uneducated rednecks if they own ahh gun. ;)

reynolds357

A plain Jane 70’s 94 30-30 should go for $400 - $500, in my neck of the woods anyway. (Midwest)
From prices I am seeing in Georgia over last couple of years, $1000 not out of line. Pawn shops getting $700 for lever action .30-30 and .35 Rem that I would grade at 60%.

AL45

Prices on Lever Action anything is high right now and I don't see any end in sight. I've been looking for a Marlin JM or Winchester in .357 magnum and have only found one under $1000.00 and it wasn't in great shape. Most are closer to $1500.00. If the Winchester you are looking at has a nice walnut stock, I would consider it. I do a lot of woodworking and the price of walnut is high.

taylorce1

If you want a NOS Winchester 94 with all the paperwork, it might be worth it. They aren't making a lot of 94 rifles anymore. If you're buying it to shoot it sure isn't worth it.

I'm glad I bought my old 94 for $100. It was sold as a non-functioning rifle, as the firing pin was broken. Replaced the firing pin and rear sight and I had a perfectly functional .30-30 lever rifle.

jmr40

From 1964 until 1980 were some of the worst years for Winchesters. I might pay $1000 for one made in the 1950's. Or even a well used one from 1980-2000 which were good years. But I'd pass on a 1975 at any price.