Worth Sending AR15 Back to Bushmaster?

bryceh12321

I'm pretty sure the barrel on my bushmaster is a bit over torqued. The rear sight is farther off center from the front sight post than it should be, and I've heard from A LOT of guys who have this problem with Bushmaster. The simple fix would be to send it back to Bushmaster, but I'm curious how big of a problem it really is.

Any accuracy loss or problems with keeping it the way it is?

riomedinamike

I don't see how over-tightening the barrel would cause the problem you mention, because the barrel has a pin or slot where it fits into the upper receiver, and the barrel nut tightens over the threaded portion of the upper receiver, so in theory the barrel shouldn't move to take the sights out of alignment.

I've built several upper receivers, and at first used a torque wrench, but it is hard to always get within the torque specs and align the barrel nut so the gas tube will fit properly through the nut and upper receiver. The problem is that you might be within the torque specs, but the gas tube won't line up, so you can either loosen the nut or tighten it up a little more to get the gas tube to go through. Most gunsmiths will admit they tighten it a little more rather than have a looser or less tight setup.

My guess without seeing the rifle is that the front sight housing may be off-center, or there may be problems with the rear sight.

As to future problems with overtightening the barrel, it could or might cause problems by overstressing the upper receiver. My concern would be that your shots would be off if the sights are off.

If it is still under warranty, by all means send it back to Bushmaster to diagnose and correct the problem.

stevedscross

send it back. When you spend that much on anything you should get quality if not they should fix it. By the way this is not the first time I have heard of this problem. When I worked at a gun shop we has 3 bushmasters that had the same problem. We send them back and raised holy hell for them sending us ****ty guns. They never send us a bad one again.