Worth it to Load ELD Match?

Swifty Morgan

I got very good results shooting Hornady ELD Match 147-grain 6.5 Creedmoor ammo today. I saw some available online, and I was hoping to load up, but I wanted to wait until I had tried some I already had. By the time I was able to shoot, the ammo online had been snapped up.

I can still get bullets for reloading, but when I looked at the load data from Hornady, it said the powder I have (H4350) maxes out at 2600 fps. The ammo box claims the packaged stuff is rated at 2695.

Obvious question: do I want to bother trying to make ammunition that may not perform as well as the stuff I already tried?

How can Hornady squeeze so much speed out of the same bullet? The best figure their load data provides is 2650.

Last edited:

langenc

Different or mixture of powders is one way. Im sure they have lots of tricks up their sleeves besides that one.

hounddawg

If your sole goal is to break into the 2700 + range look at some of th epowder manufacturers sites. Example Hogdon data had velocities up to 2746 using 46.2 of Suprform. RL 16 could probably get you there also

44 AMP

Staff
How can Hornady squeeze so much speed out of the same bullet? The best figure their load data provides is 2650.

Well, one way to do that is to use DIFFERENT test guns.

Does the speed data on the ammo box tell you what gun it was tested from? Barrel length?? Anything?? or just a velocity figure???

Two different barrel of identical length shooting the same ammo can give velocities as much as 100fps apart. Rare, but it happens.

Also, consider that where a powder "maxes out" can differ from tester to tester as well. Different testers use different guns, and different combinations of components.

ALSO remember that any quoted velocity is almost always an AVERAGE, and that terms like "extreme spread" and "standard deviation" are used and why they are used.

NOBODY's data is, or can be a "will produce this in every gun, every shot" thing. None of it.

Swifty Morgan

I guess I should chronograph some of the packaged stuff so I'll have a reference that isn't a manufacturer's fantasy.

I'm not interested in creating a hot load, but I would like to equal the performance of factory ammo.

ocharry

I was just gonna ask you if they were really getting that velocity??

Sometimes what the box says dont really happen...sometimes you can get a little more than the box says

So if you can....chrono them out of your rifle and see where they really are...could be surprised

Ocharry

Metal god

I don’t shoot the 6.5 but I’ll assume 2695 is fast for that bullet . Based on my understanding of the cartridge and powders used for it . The powder you have is the one to use . Hodgdon says 42.4 gr H4350 will get you 2697fps from a 24” barrel . Also consider that Hornady’s data also is for the 153gr bullet which would likely be why there max charge is less then Hodgdon’s website .

Bfglowkey

Running a 24" barrel and I shoot the 147's alot, I have several powders that will push it over 2700. Superformance, R16, R26, H1000 and Hogdon 4895SC, RL25, RL 17 and RL 19. I listed them in order of accuracy not max speed. Again these are some of the powders that helped me break 2700 with that bullet. Your results may differ slightly or completely.

jmr40

Several things. Hodgdons online load manual says 2680 fps with 41.8 gr of H4350. That is close enough. Which I find interesting because they show the 147 gr bullet loaded with nearly 2 gr more powder than the same 140 gr bullet.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

You will get different velocity numbers quoted for a lot of reasons. Over 100 fps difference between 2 different rifles with equal barrel lengths with ammo from the same box isn't unusual.

It is highly unlikely that you're actually getting the 2695 out of your personal rifle even though that is on the box. And in the real world the difference between 2600 fps and 2700 fps isn't as great as you might think. You're talking about less than 5" at 500 yards.

I've loaded 140 gr ELD-M's and 143gr ELD-X's for my 6.5 getting speeds just under 2700 fps in my rifles. But I've pretty much settled on this bullet for both target shooting and hunting. It has proven to be more accurate and deadly on game. Price is reasonable too.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1270666752

Another cheaper alternative that is almost as good, but I'd not hunt with it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101065191

brasscollector

One has to wonder how much of that velocity figure that's printed on the box is simply marketing hype too. I had some Hornady 50gr 22-250 ammo that claimed something like 3800FPS on the box. Across my chrono I was only getting around 3400FPS, maybe not even. It was very accurate ammunition but the sales pitch was a complete fantasy.

ghbucky

I got very good results shooting...

I think it is worthwhile examining what you mean here. What is it you are looking for?

If I recall correctly, you were taking up long range shooting for accuracy. If that is the case, then I would say that you will very likely be able to develop a load that your rifle very much likes.

It may or may not be that specific bullet and powder you reference here, but half the fun is experimenting and seeing the results.

[edit] After consideration, I just committed a sin I find annoying. The OP posted a specific question, and I answered a different question. Apologies.

Last edited:

Swifty Morgan

When I say I got good results, I mean I got this at 100 yards. The shots on the right-hand bullseyes are 147-grain rounds. The ones on the left are 140. The two in the middle are fouling shots using cheap S&B ammo.

I figured the 147-grain bullets had to be pretty good, and they have a higher BC than the 140's, so I decided to look for more.

Sounds like Hornady's suggested data is the problem.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 11 01 20 RPR 100 yds S&B fouling shots plus 140 and 147 Hornady ELD small.jpg
    11 01 20 RPR 100 yds S&B fouling shots plus 140 and 147 Hornady ELD small.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 159