Worst semi-autos you ever experienced.

marano

Just curious as to what others experiences with various guns have been. I guess for me it would be Walther PPk's. I have never owned one but over the years a couple of friends and people I work with have had them. I have shot three of them and never got through a magazine without a malfucntion of some sort. A lot of people swear by them but my experience with them turned me away from them for good. I have never had major problems with any others that I can remember.

militant

Hi point .380. I'm not knocking hi point as a brand because I like the .45, but the .380 was very inaccurate.

Woody55

I couldn't even tell you the make or model, but it was something one of my daughters came up with.

It was a small caliber semi-automatic with an on board, non-removable magazine. It was hard to load and, in my opinion, dangerous to unload because you had to work the slide to remove the live rounds. The springs were heavy and the muzzle was hard to control while you did this.

Even though she was an adult, I exercised my older male parental rights and took it away from her.

CPO15

There's two brands which I could mention, but I'm a better person now; I've healed and moved on.

I'm sure they'll be mentioned, though.

johnbt

The worst gun I ever owned was one of the first Ruger 22/45's I ever saw in 1992. It wouldn't feed half the time. It was so bad the gun store took it back and gave me a new one.

The new one was so bad I sent it back to Ruger and they replaced the almost everything on it. Then it was perfect. They also threw in a free 2.5# trigger job that was just perfectly crisp.

John

Just about anything by AMT.

I've shot many Ravens, Jennings, and Hi Points that are FAR more reliable than AMTs, and at far less cost.

Many years ago I had a Mauser HSc. I REALLY wanted to love that pistol, but it refused to be loved. Very unreliable, so I got rid of it.

Found out later that many people had the same problem and that replacing the springs in the magazine made a huge difference... Oddly enough, replacing them with Walther PPK magazine springs.

aarondhgraham

Phoenix HP-22

It was just a poorly performing pistol out of the box,,,
But I got what I paid for at $99.95 brand new.

It quit firing after a few hundred rounds,,,
Two trips back to the factory didn't fix it at all,,,
In fact the factory never acknowledged it had a problem.

They told me not to send it back again.

I finally filled it with epoxy and use it as a cute paperweight,,,
If I can find a 45 RPM disc of "Saturday Night Special",,,
I'll mount the pistol and the record in a shadow box,,,
Then give it to my anti-gun musician brother. :D

Aarond

allaroundhunter

Glock. It was the most unreliable, inaccurate, and ugly piece of plastic that I have ever shot...

Second to that would have to be a Phoenix HP-22. After about 50 rounds several internal parts broke, the factory quote to fix it would have been more than the gun was worth...

Lastly would probably be a Sig P250. I could just never get used to the trigger. Aside from that I have not found anything to complain about, but I have not spent much time with it because of the trigger.

***Disclaimer: Statement 1 was sarcasm....I actually love my Glock 19 and M&P9***

ScottRiqui

I rented a MAC-10 pistol (or one of its clones) in 9mm, just to see what it was like. I'm glad it was a rental and not something I purchased, because it was the most uncomfortable handgun I've ever held. The ergonomics are non-existent; the front portion of the grip is basically a rectangular block of stamped metal. I don't even think I made it through one full magazine before turning it back in for something else.

Dashunde

I had a 9mm Star Firestar many years ago, frame cracked, pile-o-crap that thing was.
They did replace the whole gun with an ugly but solid and reliable Ultrastar, sold it shortly thereafter.
(I would like to pick up one of their BM models someday though)

fwiw... I've had far more stoppages with 1911's than all of my other pistols combined.

anothernewb

I guess I'd have to say an XDm in 9mm. But - it's totally me that's the problem. The gun performs fine, and is very accurate for it's owner. For some reason something does not fit me right - or my trigger control is worse than I believed possible. About the only thing I can hit with any regularity is the dirt.

TailGator

Shot a Diamondback 9mm at the range once, urged by a fellow who was real proud of his new cheap pistol. Couldn't have hit the side of a barn from the inside. I felt fortunate that I didn't shoot the light bulbs out of the ceiling.

smokehouse4444

Way back in the mid 80's, very poor me decided to buy his first semi-auto. I bought a 1911-style Norinco 45acp...used. The first day I took it out to my friends place in the country. I don't believe it ever made it through a whole magazine without something screwing up. Horrible. I took it back and squeezed some sort of extra money from somewhere, maybe a turnip, and bought a Ruger P90. What a difference! Very nice firearm, but a couple of years later I traded it in and added some mo' money for the '88 SIG P220 that I still have today.

dgludwig

Many years ago I had a Mauser HSc. I REALLY wanted to love that pistol, but it refused to be loved. Very unreliable, so I got rid of it.

Same here. Mine was a "One of 5000" model (I think...it was one of some number anyway) and I REALLY, REALLY wanted to like this pistol but I could never get it to shoot reliably. Though a little on the heavy side, it was streamlined enough for pocket carry, was well-finished, was made with quality materials and just plain looked cool (to me, at least). But, because I have no use for an unreliable firearm, especially one that is configured for self-defense, we eventually parted ways.
I never tried replacing the magazine spring but I did try using different magazines.

JC57

Guess I'm one of the luckier ones, or else I've just owned fewer autos than most.

Over the years I've owned 2 S&W (59, 5946), 1 Colt (Combat Commander), 3 Glocks (17g1, 22g4, 26g4), 2 Bersas (380, 45), 1 Beretta (25).

Never had any real issues with any of them.

Only pistol I ever had any problems with that caused me to trade it was with a Colt Agent .38 revolver. But this is the semi-auto forum so forget I mentioned it. :)

hulley

Taurus PT-709. I had an earlier version and it was terrible, the trigger long and sloppy and I couldnt hit the broad side of a barn with it. Had failers most every mag. Sold it to a friend, told him exactly what I thought of it, he bought it anyways and it works like a charm. Maybe I "broke it in" for him.

Mystro

Glock for me. I had one that was so inaccurate and was very picky with ammo selection. Got rid of the plastic sights:rolleyes: and put on a set of night sights but it still wasn't corrected enough. I have had other Glocks that would feed anything and give acceptable accuracy but none that were tack drivers. I still have a few Glocks but for me, they are cheap and disposable guns for rudimentary tasks like a pack gun or riding in a ATV box. I dont care if they get dirty or get scratches on them because they can take it and are easy enough to replace. My 1911 and Sig will out shoot them on my worst day with my left hand.:D Glocks are back-up guns for my much more accurate primary defense guns. I must have owned 10-12 Glocks but I never really liked the design or trigger even when they worked correctly.

Last edited:

militant

I understand each person is entitled to their opinions. But to the glock bashers, I have never had an issue with mine in accuracy. I can shoot 3" groups with my "disposable" gun. It eats any ammo. Glocks are capable of good accuracy if the guy shooting it knows how to. Don't blame your inexperience on the gun.