Worn, But Not Worn Out......

mk70ss

AG3WeG4m.jpg

TSTj9t2m.jpg

Found this Taurus Model 82 .38 at my local pawn shop. It has some battle scars and was pretty dirty, but seemed like a perfectly sound gun to me. After some haggling, I took it home for $125.00 It will make a great trail gun when we ride our mules as it came with a lanyard ring in the butt.

aarondhgraham

Hey, for that price,,,
I would have taken it home as well.

Probably would have gifted it away at some time,,,
I've always got a new graduate who needs a nice graduation gift.

Nice score my friend,,,

Aarond

CajunBass

Those old Taurus guns from that time period are darn good finds, and it would be hard to beat that price.

As an aside, I've always thought those wood target grips to be about the most comfortable grips I've ever used.

Pathfinder45

isn't that basically a clone of a Smith & Wesson? Didn't they even get the tooling directly from Smith & Wesson to build them under license? Or is this a case of copyright infringement/piracy? Somebody here has gotta know the details in history of this, right?

CajunBass

Pathfinder 45 said:
isn't that basically a clone of a Smith & Wesson? Didn't they even get the tooling directly from Smith & Wesson to build them under license? Or is this a case of copyright infringement/piracy? Somebody here has gotta know the details in history of this, right?

It's not a "clone" technically. A clone would be an exact copy. The Taurus uses a coil mainspring vs Smith and Wesson's leaf spring for one big difference, but it is similar in many ways. At the time both Smith and Wesson and Taurus were owned by the same company (Bangor-Punta) and it has long been reported that Smith and Wesson sold machinery, tools and expertise to Taurus. I've seen it reported in print, but I've also read it denied in print. Which is true, I have no idea, but there certainly is a strong external resemblance.

I had one years ago, and one external difference is the shape of the trigger guard. A minor point, but something I remember noticing.

lee n. field

Not really, and Taurus' design changed over the years as well.

lee n. field

AG3WeG4m.jpg

TSTj9t2m.jpg

Found this Taurus Model 82 .38 at my local pawn shop. It has some battle scars and was pretty dirty, but seemed like a perfectly sound gun to me. After some haggling, I took it home for $125.00 It will make a great trail gun when we ride our mules as it came with a lanyard ring in the butt.

$125. Worth a shot. (Oh, I made a funny, :D )

I note the lanyard ring. I wonder if this was a foreign police gun, imported as surplus in the the US. I know there were some like that for a while from one of the surplus vendors.

Would make a good "project gun", if nothing else. Something to sink way too much money into, unless you personally have the skills. Make a "custom carry" gun. Bob the barrel to 3", crown the barrel, put a dovetail in there and mount a nice fiberoptic sight. Round butt the grip frame. Then refinish.

SIGSHR

Looks pretty nice to me, if the rifling is good and the action sound....
As a gun guru said to me years ago "You don't shoot bluing."

ThomasT

I have owned several of the models 80 and 82 and they were all really good guns. Two of them shot just a little to the left so I filed the inside of the right rear sight groove and got them right on target.

If you open the crane you will see that unlike a K-Frame there is no flat spot on the bottom of the barrel extension that causes so many people to talk trash about K-Frames and the weak spot. The frame on these guns seems to be just slightly larger than a k frame. But maybe not. No matter, they are great guns and you got a heck of a deal. I like Taurus guns from that time period with the factory wood grips.

Now find yourself one of the wood grip model 85s and they are just about as good as a model 36.

mellow_c

That’s a nice little revolver for a real little price!!!

Great job talking them down. I feel like an old Taurus like that would be a good deal at $200 let alone $125!

Congratulations.