Worlds coolest lever gun?

H&Hhunter

I have a Marlin 1895CB in .45-70 that's been cut to 22" all the joints have been soldered the action smoothed and the trigger done up real nice and smooth.

That little turkey shoots an inch all day long at 100 yards with Ashley Ghost rings.

My other lever is a M-99 savage EG with the schnobled fore end. That rifle was built in the late 1950's and has that super cool brass rotary magazine.

It is also topped with AO Ghost Rings.

Also in the safe is a real nice older Marlin 336 in 30-30.

I like them all but I have to say that I think the older M-99 is coolest little lever gun ever built.

That little rifle just screams "Americana" and the engineering that went into it is really neat. Plus the fact that you can shoot pointy ended bullets out of it.

Or maybe it's that old Savage advertisement with the guy all dressed up in plaid and a campaign hat up on the ledge getting ready to drop the hammer on a bighorn!:D

What is your favorite lever gun and caliber!

doubleaes2

Check this one out.:) Its from Wild West Guns in Alaska.

smallbushwacker19xd.jpg

H&Hhunter

doubleaes2,

That looks like the modern version of a "howda" (SP?) pistol.

Either that or to be used on drive bys at the local bear preserve.:D

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Phil Sharpe says that the 99 was developed in the late 1890s as a platform for the .22 Savage Hi-Power. He shows a load with HiVel #2 driving a 45-grain Hornet bullet to 3,810 ft/sec. Not bad for "way back when". I'd bet that with modern powders and a 40-grain bullet, you could reach 4,000 ft/sec...

Art

impact

I like the Winchester mod 95s. I had one in 30-06. they also come in 270 and 405.

But like Art said the mod 99 Savage. I know a guy that has one in 22 Savage Hi power but he just won't let it go. I have a 94 big bore in 375 Winchester that he wants real bad. I just may have that 22 high power one day soon:) .

If the commie police came to my door the last guns I would hate to see go are all my lever guns.

Long Path

I'd love a Savage 99 in 300 Savage, and another for whitetail deer in 250 Savage. At this moment, I'm ashamed to say that I don't own a single levergun.

Of those leverguns that I personally have shot, I'm right fond of a certain friend's pre-'64 M94 .30-30 that shoots an honest inch at a hundred with iron Williams peep sights... but the little jerk won't let it go. :)

I'd like to take something with Dad's Guide Gun 1895GS (.45-70, what else?), but I'd rather see him blood it first.

A friend had an old family heirloom octagonal barreled 1894 in .32-20 that he got the hots to take a deer with. Seemed that some generations before had used the anemic rifle to dispatch deer in the past, and he wanted to do it for old nostalgia's sake. With my father beside him to back him up with a scoped '06, our friend hunted a likely spot, and did indeed see a buck that he wanted to shoot. He decided that "the angle was wrong," borrowed Dad's rifle, and shot the deer. The animal fell into the tall grass, and our friend initially lost it in his quick advance after the shot, running up with Dad's boltgun in hand. Dad walked up behind and saw the deer raise up and bleat, and thus it turned out to be Dad who used the antique to administer a snap-shot coup de grace, which turned out to be a job it was perfectly suited for. ;)

OJ

I'm with IMPACT - Here is the High grade Winchester 95 in 30-06 my wife gave me for our 25th anniversary in May (new in box, unfired, with manual). All she got was a little (OK, not too little) diamond ring and she's convinced she got the best of the deal - women - gotta love'em.

AWINCHESTER95.jpg
[/IMG]

:) :D :D

SeekHer

I really like my Marlin 1894 FG in .41 Mag to match my pistols in that caliber and the 336 in .30/30 Win and the 39A in .22LR, also a 1894 Winchester in .30WCF, a Browning BL22 in .22LR and a BLR in .358 Win Mag. I'd like a Trapper style in .35 Rem. and a Savage 99 in .308 Win. or 300 Savage but a .250/3000 would be way cool!

I'd also really like a Rogue River Model 88 Winchester in 7mm-08, &/or .358 Win Mag (.260 or .243 or .308 would also be nice), or maybe a Z-Hat 1895 Winchester converted in .375 Scoville-Hawk or .358 or .411 Hawk.

For synthetic stocks, ported barrels and oversized levers I'd then go for a Wild West Rifle Co-Pilot or Guide's model in .45 or .50 Alaskan or a Brockman's Master Guide or Beast in .45/70 Gov.

Then of course we need some rifles for Cowboy Action Shooting in historical calibers, 24"/26" barrels and tang mounted rear sights in .45LC, .44/40, .40/65, .38/55, .32/20, & .25/35 and in pistol calibers of .44 Mag, .41 Mag, .357 Mag, .38 Spec. and .32 H&R Mag with 20"/24" barrel and but we've nearly forgotten the .17 Mach2, .17 HMR and the .22 WRM maybe by Henry Rifles, or Ruger etc.

I think that would round out the collection quite nicely, from bunnies to bears and everything in between.

OJ that is pure joy for the eyes to behold...an excellent butt choice...if she shoots as well as she looks then you are an extremely lucky man, twice blessed, a beautiful lady to love and the love of a beautiful woman...Happy 25

impact

OJ that is one nice gun! My feild grade 95 cost me more than any money I spent on a gun. A 95 High grade! Your wife loves you;)

OJ

SeekHer & IMPACT.

Thanks - she's a keeper. She really knows the true values of life!!! She was a surgical nurse while I was still practicing surgery. Took us a few years to get it together but we finally got it together and right.

As for the Winchester 95 - this is what it did with the "ghost ring" Williams FP71. I've never shot anything better - the trigger is even better than the one on my 1968 Python - if you can imagine that.

WFP71GHOSTRINGSHOTS.jpg
[/IMG]

This is the "ghost ring set up. A Williams FP71 with the aperture removed - love it!!!

WFP71GHOSTRING.jpg
[/IMG]

:) :rolleyes: :)

Tom Matiska

This may only be cool to me but.....

Always wanted a Win 94 in something more than a 30-30. The only 307 Win the dealer had was a beautiful XTR model. Not the plain Jane that I wanted, but the price was right. After doing the paper work, I looked at the form and saw the month/day/year of my birth on the form was exactly the same as the serial number of the gun.

Now how cool is it to have your birthday as the serial number on your favorite high power lever?

Tom

Jseime

I really really really really really really really want a winchester model 88 or a Sako Finnwolf in .243 winchester topped with a 3-9X40 Burris

Harley Quinn

Tom that is pretty cool

:cool: I really think that is the cats meow.:cool:
I bought a 22 Glock for the same reason it had a serial number that was part of a birtdate. I was looking at about six that came used from a Sheriffs Dept.

Yours is much cooler though.

I also have several levers, I would like one in 358 calibur. The Savage,
Winchester and the Browning all are loaded so you can use pointed bullets. I like the idea of a detachable mag. But I do like the Savage 99.
Since finding one in 358 is something of a challange in used rifle, I will probably take what I can find and then continue to look.

I like my 760 Remington in 06 pretty nice (pump).:cool:
Harley

3584ELK

I used to think my Win. Model 71 in .348 Winchester. Now that I have a Win. 94 Big Bore in .375 Win...I dunno.