Working on some benches!

taylorce1

Dang summer has been all screwed up out here on the prairie. Prairie dog season has been open since the first of June, but every thing has been so muddy you can't drive out to the towns. We've had twice our average yearly precipitation since it started raining in may.

I have an old portable shooting bench, but the top is small and it's a PITA to keep things on it. So I decided to build some semi portable benches that were a little bigger. I found a guy with a welding shop selling threaded brackets for benches on another forum, so I ordered a three sets.

Three sheets if plywood, three sticks of conduit, and three of everything else I wound up with these.

IMG-20230719-113404.jpg

The thing I probably like the best is the clamp on umbrella!

20230719-104547.jpg

I'm not fond of the front rest, but it comes apart and fits in the bucket with room to spare.

20230719-104011.jpg

I'm hoping it'll dry out to where we can drive out to the grasslands and not get stuck soon.

ocharry

i built something very similar a couple years ago

i used 2" pvc tubing for the legs and pipe flange fittings on the table...works pretty good..not to heavy to carry around...fixed it up so the legs strap to the bottom of the table and put a carry handle on the off wing side...carry it like a suit case...real stable too....it has blood on it ...lol

my boy borrowed mine and i havent seen it since..lol...guess i need to make another one

what you made looks good...should work out good for you

ocharry

taylorce1

These are pretty heavy, they're made to drive in not carry. Each bench is almost 1.5" thick, I cut each sheet of ply in half and glued and screwed it together. I then rounded over the edge with my router.

Here is a picture of the brackets.
VxSltt7.jpg

I like them as the legs are angled and make the bench more steady, than a regular pipe flange. He recommended 1.25" black pipe from your big box store. I went with electrical conduit because my buddy is an electrician and got it for me at a discounted price. That's the only thing I did to lighten these things up.

ocharry

yeah i bet they are heavy...mine is only 3/4" thick i think it is 5 ply or maybe more i would have to look

you are right about the pipe flange being straight but i used a piece of 6x6 and made some blocks with angles on them and glued and screwed them to the top and then the flange went on the block...i forget the angle i used but my legs are angled and not straight....it is pretty stable....and i can carry it if i have to but it is still pretty heavy....lol and it seems the older i get the heavier things tend to be

those flanges you got look good.....prolly a really nice dog town table you built

ocharry