working on an in-line for a friend

HistoryJunkie

It is my first time ever looking at the internals of an inline muzzle loader. My friend had it, and knew that it could not fire.

It is a Traditions Tracker Model 209. The bolt was stuck. After a lot of cleaning, hot water baths, etc, the bolt came out. Now I can see the breech plug. It is my understanding from reading and schematics that you should be able to see through it? It looks like there is what looks like a spent primer(?) in the middle of it with a metal washer around it.

I'm pretty in the dark here, and would love to provide a pic but my camera is on the fritz. Any ideas? I think I might have just jumped in too deep.

HistoryJunkie

Okay I finally got my camera to work. Apologies for lack of quality, as I still have a flip phone.

If someone could even possibly include a picture of what a clear breech plug in this model or something like it should look like, that would be wonderful.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 45

PetahW

You would be best served by contacting Traditions to obtain an owner/service manual for the rifle.

That inline has a breechplug that uses/takes 209 shotgun-type primers ILO a #11 or musket percussion cap.

I would respectfullty suggest that, before going any further, you ascertain the barrel's unloaded.

The easiest way to determine such would be to run a ramrod or dowel bownbore from the muzzle until it stops, then make a mark on the rod where it exits the muzzle.

Withdraw the rod and lay it alongside the barrel, with the mark at the muzzle end of the barrel - so you can see on the outside of the bbl, exactly what stopped the rod inside the bbl.

If that location is much more than an inch ahead of the rear of the breechplug's rear (not the primer holder/nipple) - then there's a good chance it's loaded, & fiddling with the priming could discharge the rifle.

(Loads can be pulled with a screw-jag/puller)

After it's been determined that the bbl's unloaded, then procede to pierce the primer/whatever and dig the remains out.
I would suggest tapping an ice pick or thin drift pin into it's center with the bolt removed.

Once that's done, a small deep socket can be used to remove the holder/nipple.

Last edited:

FrontierGander

thats just an old primer installed into the breech plug. Remove it with your fingers, if its stuck, use a pair of pliers. The breech plug is removed by using basically a large slotted screw driver. My bet, you'll find the plug seized into the barrel due to the owner not properly taking care of the rifle.

HistoryJunkie

The breech plug being seized is what probably happened. The rifle was basically a rifle that my friends boss got when his son passed away and just asked me if I could try to see what is wrong with it.

If the breech plug is seized, that would effect the function of the rifle, correct? I read about some people not ever taking out their breech plugs :confused:

BerdanSS

I'm pretty familiar with those rifles,, overhauled more than a couple for people.

durn it.....started to type and have to run out for a sec.

Get back to you here in a second........

Pahoo

You should be OKAY

If the breech plug is seized, that would effect the function of the rifle, correct? I read about some people not ever taking out their breech plugs
Functionally there would be no difference and instead take away some cleaning options. It's been said that MML's are easier to clean than SideLocks. That isn't necessarily so, just another opinion. The cleaning advantage, is that MML's are more accessible. I have to admit that stuck breech plug, bug the crap out of me. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

FrontierGander

you can get the plug out with a propane torch or using boiled hot water but either way, you need to make 100% sure the rifle is unloaded first before doing anything.

With the propane torch you just heat the outside of the barrel around the breech plug on all sides while using the screw driver and put pressure on it. Once the metal expands it pops loose and backs out easily.

BerdanSS

okay sorry about that.

First off, the trackers while cheaply priced....are really quite robustly made. Now depending on the year made, you should have one of two breech plugs. The first (and the one that should be in that model) is a two piece plug and center primer pocket. That one has a proprietary breech plug wrench. The other would be the type that basically has a LARGE screwdriver slot, very similar to the breechplugs found in older CVA inlines...which is what looks like you have. Traditions will be more than happy to send you the owners manual for free. Most often in the form of an emailed PDF.

Like it has been previously stated, gentile heat or scalding water will help with a stuck plug. A little breakfree CLP wont hurt either. After getting it out (provided it isn't too corroded to keep using) some Moly EP grease (or similar product) SPARINGLY on the threads will help in preventing that again (along with proper routine cleaning.

The other side of the breech plug will be concave with basically a pin hole in it. With it removed in good light you should be able to see through it.

Last edited:

BerdanSS

Also, stuck primers are pretty much a given with these after firing. I had a CVA Staghorn Magnum, which is pretty much the exact same rifle. A small pocket knife or pic was required to remove 90% of fired primers.

HistoryJunkie

Good to know. This one seems like it is wedged in there pretty good. Tried prying it out with a kitchen knife to no avail. Would it be safe to drill a small hole in the center of the primer?

HistoryJunky

Am I supposed to be able to see light through the breech plug from the barrel, or visa versa? I put a flashlight in the barrel and tried to see, but I couldn't tell if it was coming through or not.

FrontierGander

yeah you should be able to see light through the tiny flash hole in the breech plug.

I'd insert the ramrod and see if any sticks out. Ramrod should be flush with the muzzle or maybe stick out 3/8"

If it sticks out more than that, dont keep looking down the barrel :eek:

HistoryJunky

If only I had a ramrod. Apparently the guy keeping the gun lost it or something. I figured maybe I could just use the one from my Mosin, but it's too big to fit through the flash hole.

BerdanSS

The flash hole is very small. About the size of a thin wire. Anything that will fit down the bore will work the see if there is something stuck in there. Like a dowl rod, or even that cleaning rod from your nagant. The breech plug is roughly an inch to an inch and a half in length. Run it down the barrel till you hit something solid. Then mark it with a pen or something flush with the end of the muzzle. Once you do that. Lay the dowl rod next to the barrel, about an inch and a 1/4 or so in front of the end of the plug you can see, where the primer was. If you mark lines back up with the end of the barrel (or really close) your good. If not, there's something stuck in there, its possible the rifle is still loaded at this point.

For the breech plug, try a small pipe cleaner from the primer end. The pre formed powder pellets most people use with inlines come with a small pipe cleaner just for that use.

Anyway you can post a picture of the breech plug now that the primer is out?

Last edited:

HistoryJunkie

Here's the picture to the best of my ability. My phone has no flash, and I cannot get a good downwards angle view or decent lighting. I stook a piece of a metal coat hanger through breech side first, and it does go through partially, but stops on something.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 19

HistoryJunkie

Also, tried the measuring thing with my mosin rod and it did come up short. The piece of coat hanger can be inserted about an inch and a half or so into the breech plug as well, so there must be something stuck in there.

FrontierGander

its supposed to stop, if you had a hole that big in a breech plug you'd probably kill yourself due to the large amount of gasses shooting back into the shooters face.

Use the screw driver tool and remove the breech plug.