Working man's long range gun

Rob96

Last November I bought a Remington 700ADL Varmint in 308. Today I finally ordered a Mueller 4-12x40 AO APT tactical scope, rings and Harris bi-pod for it. Also ordered dies for my press. The rifle is finaly coming together. I'm going to shoot it a while with the factory stock to see if I really need to change it. Last time I had it out I was getting .69moa at 100yds eith the crappy Remington scope that came with it.

NICE! I love taking "cheaper" guns and getting them to shoot great. My working man's long range rifle is a Savage model 12 in .243 win (not sure if they even chamber the model 12 in .243 anymore???). I have a cheap tasco 6-24x scope on it and a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock (mcmillan) and harris bipod. sub 1.25" 5-shot groups at 400 yards. Gonna push it out to 800 this weekend. Shooting 95 grn Berger VLDs (.486 BC) over 35.1 grn H4895 seated .010" off the lands. MV 3070 fps. If you don't handload, I would highly suggest it if you want to shoot cheaper and shoot more accurately. Good luck and keep us posted!

sneaky pete

Sneaky Pete here: Go with the 6.5 Grendel. Good out to 1100yds and will out shoot the .308s all day long. All the Long Range Competition shooters have given up on the .308s and have gone over to the 6.5s--6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Les Bare, 6.5X55 Swed, 6.5X47 Lapua, 6.5 Creedmore, 260 Rem, 6.5-06, 6.5-07, 6.5-08, 6.5 Norma, 6.5X284. The USAMU went to the 6.5s and the Marine Corps rifle team gave up on their M-14s--there's got to be a reason--probably the 6.5 projectiles are more efficient??? Of course the're sill using .308s in Palma and Garand matches. I've got a Garand and love shooting it--probably cuz I carried one in the Marines in the 50s&60's THANX--SNEAKY:)

10-96

Pete- Why would he gear up for 6.5 when he already has all the .308 holes already drilled into his smoke pole?

Rob- Glad your kit is coming together for ya! What powder are you looking at? 4064?
And, what's your opinion of your Mueller? I don't think I have the one you have anywhere in my stash, but I do have three of the 8.5x25's on some of my varmint rigs and love the things to death.

Rob96

Actually I was looking at 4895 for the powder. Choosing powders is like choosing scopes, so many out there. I should have the scope by Wednesday.

CPTMurdoc30

Lap the lugs and adjust that trigger. that will make big improvements. An even bigger improvement would be replacing that factory junk trigger with a Timney or Jewell.

Just remember that if you send Remington a gun with an adjusted or after market trigger they will pull it and place one of their JUNK triggers on there and charge you $125+ for it.

If it is an ADL with a synthetic stock I would dump it for a BDL wood stock. That is just me. The SPS look the place of the ADL for the lower end Remington rifles. Still just as good as the BDL just not as fancy ADL blind mag BDL is not.