Words matter ... lessons from LEO's?

Jeff Thomas

Last evening I watched a show on TLC regarding LEO's dealing with hostage situations. Interesting in its own right, but I found some of the dialog especially helpful.

I'm a firm believer in our need to drastically change the terms of the RKBA debate, and no ... it isn't just semantics. It affects perception - consider the 'successful' misuse of 'assault' and 'semiautomatic'. I also believe in every new term we've discussed here on TFL and elsewhere.

So, they aren't 'anti-gun' ... they are most definitely 'anti-self defense'. They aren't just 'liberal commentators' ... they are certainly 'gun bigots' (as they call you a gun nut, triggerhead, Neanderthal, etc.). It isn't 'gun rights' ... it's a 'civil right'. It isn't just the 'Second Amendment' ... it is the 'Bill of Rights'. I think all of these terms and phrases help to properly recast the debate.

So, last evening I noticed when an LEO was being interviewed, and he used some interesting phrases to explain and / or justify the use of lethal force by LEO's. The phrase that stuck with me was something along the lines of 'firearms aren't used to kill; they are used to terminate violence'. I thought that was an excellent phrase, and an accurate perspective, since 99% of firearms are never used in a crime, and never kill anyone. And, honest civilian firearms owners are essentially in the same position as LEO's when it comes to explaining justifiable uses of firearms.

If anyone else saw this program, did you catch any other good phrases? And, especially for our LEO members, have you picked up other phrases over the years that appropriately describe the proper and realistic uses of firearms?

I want to become the best debater I can be, and using proper terms is an important part of changing hearts and minds, from my perspective.

Thank you. Regards from AZ

Mike in VA

Jeff-
You're so right, words matter immensely. civil rights, bigotry, self-defense, Bill of Rights all have a termendous emotional valence, and if you want to control the dialog, it's important to establish the frame or reference with your own terms (i.re. own teh language fo teh debate). At the risk of sounding tres PC, we all need to internalize these terms and master the semantic acrobatics that go along with them, it's like verbal judo in the right situation. It's kinda like telling some anti-self-defense twit that they don't celebrate my diversity or respect my lifestyle just because I'm involved in the shooting sports and watching their eyes cross as they stammer.

FWIW, a good phrase I picked up in my CCW class was that we don't shoot to kill, but rather to "neutralize the threat", which IMHO, is even softer that "terminating the violence". Thanks for the thoughtful post,
Best regards, M2

Anyone worth shooting is worth shooting twice.

bookkie

Good points Jeff. We all should learn to use these terms.

------------------
Richard

The debate is not about guns,
but rather who has the ultimate power to rule,
the People or Government.
RKBA!

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
I agree with much of what you propose, Jeff. I do believe, however, that gun-rights are not just civil-rights, (which carries an unpleasant ACLU/PC type stench) but a basic human right. Civil rights infers that these rights are granted by the civilization, or government; but the right to defend yourself is granted by God/Nature/Clapton. Not by any civilization.

I like the idea of "assault" type words for them, and kinder, gentler words for us. It does work, and it makes sense.

My favorites that I use to cover the abortion debate folks is "anti-life" and "anti-choice."

------------------
RKBA!

"A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you." - Ramsey Clark

"Rights are liable to be perverted to wrongs when we are incapable of rightly exercising them." - Sarah Josepha Hale

Jeff OTMG

I have used 'anti-gun zealot' with good effect. I also use 'full capacity magazine' in place of 'high capacity magazine'. The 10 rounder is a 'reduced capacity magazine'.

SB

Ah, I can see the bumper sticker slogan now, "End violence. Buy a gun."

Works for me. :)

G-Freeman

Jeff - I appreciate your clear thinking and value of language. Don't hop over the word "semantics" though because what it involves is very valuable in your purpose. I recommend S.I. Hayakawas' Language in Thought and Action.(@10 bucks). Yep, this is the guy who fell alseep in Congress all the time, yet stood his ground at Berkley in the 60's during that whine fest. Easy to read and might help you reconnoiter the enemy.

I like SB's bumper sticker suggestion.

BTW, back in '84 when I went through my academy, we were never taught to shoot to kill but to shoot to stop an immediate threat of great bodily injury or death.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

jones

Thank you Jeff,
I've been stewing over the verbiage used by the local talk show host. He is one of these who use the term "gun nuts".
Thank you ever so much for "gun bigot", it's going to be a lot of fun talking to him now! Armed with these phrases, I may make him re-think that "gun nuts" line.

------------------
jones

Ulfilas

Hear, hear, weiser--well put :)

So, would we call anti-gun zealots "defensively challenged?" ;)

jth

------------------
Exodus 22:2 -- Biblical precedent for home defense.