Woot! New to me S&W M14

KySilverado

I've been on the hunt for a M14 for a while now. Wanting a target shooting revolver. I've found several on GB and the like but just hate buying something I can't look over in person. Found a couple on websites at area gun stores but gone before I found the time to go see them.

Off work today so decided check a shop in town for an AR accessory I needed. Of course while there I had to look around. Low and behold this was in the case. A Model 14-3 and priced fairly. $425. No box. Bluing is weak on the edges, no major scratch or dings. Action is great. Cylinder is tight. Bore looks pristine. Bought it. When doing the paper work the guy tells me that the guy who'd just left was looking at it and going home to get permission from the wife to buy it. He walks back in when I'm leaving.... guess I found it in the nick of time.

Can't wait to start working up some wadcutter loads.

Serial # is 1K28XXX. Anybody cares to throw a manufacturing date at me I'd be most appreciative.

IMG_1644Large.jpg

IMG_1645Large.jpg

Last edited:

aarondhgraham

Another person I hafta hate a little bit,,,

Well,,,
Perhaps hate is too strong a word,,,
Suffice it to say I am one jealous puppy today.

This is the 4th post in as many days,,,
Where a member finds a great deal on a Model 14 or 17.

You're making me cry here,,,
And I know what you're gonna say,,,
Just buck up and shell out the coin for one.

That's exactly what I will do,,,
As soon as I see a sweet gun like this,,,
For the same or even close sweet price you paid.

Congrats on a great find my friend,,,
I hope she shoots for you as well as she looks.

Aarond

bamabiker

Nice looking M14-3. I got one a year or so ago for $425 also but it had target grips. Fine shooting guns.

1K28xxx should be 1970.

KySilverado

Thanks everyone for the comments and bamabiker for the date.

I bought it to shoot and plan on shooting the heck out of it.

stevieboy

Beautiful. About 6 weeks ago I bought a 14-2 for my wife off Gunbroker, and I paid $400 for it. She's fallen in love with it, it is as accurate and easy to shoot as any handgun made.

She's been shooting plain and inexpensive 158gr. LRN with it and the gun loves that round. Which is to say, it takes nothing fancy to bring out the best in this gun.

KySilverado

Thanks again guys for the kind comments. Like I've said I've had the fever for one for a few months now. The older I get the more I like the classic revolvers.

I mentioned I would be shooting it a lot. Thinking I'll pick up a set of Hogue grips for it for a couple reasons. One I have big hands and two, to save the originals.

I also have an uncle to thank for my love of shooting and firearms. He's supported the hobby since my childhood. Basically taught me how to shoot and reload. Provided a lot of the ammo I shot when I was a kid. Anyway he's getting on in the years now and given up shooting. We still talk of course and I mentioned to him I'd picked up this gun. Took it down to show it to him today and as it usually goes he unloaded his stock of loading supplies for 38 spl on me. He shot a lot of 38 spl in his day :) Refuses to take any money for the stuff but I usually manage to pay him something eventually or do some work around the farm for him.

Picture of what I left with today. About 900 loaded wadcutter rounds. About 600 primed 38 spl brass, a couple sets of dies for 38 spl., and about 4000 Hornady and speer 148g lead wadcutter bullets. Along with his favorite load information for the. Real simple, either 3.0g of Bullseye or 7.0g of Unique. This should keep me in components for the next couple years :)

Picture017Large.jpg