Woops, I leaded my barrel

Dingoboyx

I was shooting my Vaquaro .44 mag today with some monster loads (they were for my Marlin .44 mag lever rifle and I ran out of pistol rounds) and the grooves have a fair plastering of lead. Have flushed and brushed using gun degreaser and gun oil, but it is hard to move.

Anyone know any good trix to get it out? :eek::D

Muzza

Pappy John

Chore Boy pads, from the grocery store.

They're like steel wool, but made from copper.

Pull a few strands loose and wrap them around your cleaning patches and run them through the bore.

The Lewis Lead Remover tool is better, but sometimes hard to find locally.

Pappy John

I just noticed you're from Down Under, mate.

If "Chore Boy" isn't distributed there, a good hardware store should stock bronze wool for polishing. That's close enough. Get the coarsest grade available.

Dingoboyx

Thanx mate, will see what I can find. At the moment I have the barrel full od KleenBore Number 10 gun solvent and scrubbing it every now and then (brush is nice and clean, havent seen it that color for yonks) :eek:

I'll see what copper wool I can get tomorrow, it is 1105 pm here at the moment ;)

Thanx again

Muzza

chriske

Brush away with a DRY bore brush, 'till you're fed up.
Put away 'till the next day & start again.
Repeat until seemingly clean, then use solvent & check patches.

EVERY lead bullet I ever shot, no matter what cailber, load, make, size, material (swaged or cast) etc..., leaves leading in my bores.

Since I'll HAVE to remove leading anyway, I prefer it to be as soft as posible, so I try to use major brand swaged bullets (Speer, Hornady ...) at low velocities (750 - 900 fps).

stevieboy

I use J & B Bore Cleaning compound. It's a mild abrasive which will remove lead without harming steel. I know that Brownell's has it, probably many other outlets do, too. Saturate a patch with the stuff, run it through the bore 5 - 6 times. Then, brush vigorously with a bronze brush that you've sprayed with solvent (or, as an alternative, spray the bore with solvent and brush with a dry bronze brush. Either works). Depending how heavy the leading is you may need to repeat the process. Finish off by running a series of patches through the bore. The first 4 - 5 should be saturated with solvent, after that, run dry patches until they come through clean.

I do this every time I clean, regardless whether I'm shooting jacketed or lead bullets. And, I clean after every shooting session. Over time the bore will get cleaner and cleaner and, eventually, will be pristine.

garryc

Pull a few strands loose and wrap them around your cleaning patches and run them through the bore

No, wrap it around a worn brush and use shooters choice lead out. Scrub it, let set for about 1/2 hour and scrub again, it should all come out.

WVfishguy

Dingoboyx, I had the same problem last week. I was shooting re-loads and I did not flare the cases enough, and leaded the barrels on three revolvers. I used the copper pad wrapped around an old brush method.

When you shop for copper pads, take a small magnet with you. Most "copper" pads are really steel with a copper covering. If the magnet attracts the pad, don't buy it.