Wooden bullets

Lavid2002

We have a cool cabinet in the store with a bunch of cool stuff in it. I found a 30-06 round with a live primer, powder(I shook it), and a wooden bullet....Does anyone here have any knowledge on the army using wooden bullets for training purposes? It was in a army-like cardboard box.

Lavid2002

It seemed like fairly soft wood too. I would imagine immediately once the bullet left the barrel it would be ripped apart by the outward G forces rifling causes....

the rifleer

Its a practice round. The wood can't handle the forces of being shot out of a barrel and it just falls apart. You can shoot it, but you wont get any rounds on target.

the rifleer

What do you mean?

why did the stop making them? They were designed for the military for practice. I know the Swedish used them, this is the first I've heard of 30.06 rounds being made, but i believe it. They use them to practice firing a rifle without having bullets fly out the barrel.

shooter_john

My Sgt. has a wooden 45 ACP on his desk, but it can't recall where it came from,or where he got it. I thought it was pretty odd (and neat). We, like stated here, decided that it must've been some kind of training round way back when. His is a military headstamp, I just can't recall which one.

emcon5

Not sure if it is the right answer, but:

One rather unusual but not uncommon grenade blank made in the U.S. has a wood bullet. This was for the Viven-Bessières grenade which was launched by a ball round where the bullet actually went through the center of the grenade. This presented a problem as the danger space for the ball rounds exceeded that of the grenade and training could only be carried out on grenade ranges with sufficient space. So a blank with a solid wood bullet was developed. These are found on cases headstamped F A VB 33, F A 21-R and others.

Lots of European countries used blanks with wood bullets, the most commonly known is probably Sweden, who used them in Mausers and machine guns. In fact you can still get them here for dirt cheap: http://www.samcoglobal.com/Ammunition.html#6.5

Not really good for anything though.

dmazur

I have a M1 training film that shows cartridges with wooden bullets in use. Apparently the Army determined that the soldier needed lots of practice with the funny "en-bloc" loader, and running the op-rod back to chamber a round.

Later in the film a "coach" is shown laying beside the prone soldier to help with dry-firing, to master trigger control. The coach would wrap his hand in a handkerchief, or wear a glove, so that he could smack the op-rod, both cocking the action and simulating recoil. Didn't see the wooden bullets in use for this part, so I'm guessing it was restricted to loading practice.

GunsAreGood

Yes most likely for training purposes. In its prime it would be fine to fire and the bullet would stay (for the most part) together. I know that the quick draw shooters use wax bullets and im assuming that if those make it down range a wooden bullet will to.

Dave P

I read that these are much more deadly than even the much-vaunted mercury filled dum-dums. Apparently the the wood shards just pulverize all the soft tissue in the surrounding area, causing immediate death of course.

This secret has been held in the strictest confidences for many years, but looks like now these guys have found out about it: http://www.extremeshockusa.com/

highvel

I recall something about wooden core bullets around the first world war, but they were outlawed by the Geneva Convention.
Toooo Messy:D

What is the headstamp?

Wood was often used as a nose filler in military bullets, along with cardboard and other light-weight materials. I don't believe that any international treaty ever addressed the contents of the bullet (other than explosive material), just the jacket composition.

Making the nose light to shift the center of gravity to the rear would help destabilize the bullet and allow it to tumble faster and more violently on impact.

crghss

I have read about wooden bullets used by the Germans, pretty long ago. But from what I read the Allies took it as a sign that the germans where running out of raw material and had to resort to wooden bullet because that was all they had.