Wood or Synthetic?

IMightBeWrong

I'm buying a Bolt in .30-06 and haven't decided which material to go with. I'm concerned with looks, but that's only about 10%. The other 90% is performance and durability. Which do you like to shoot with more?

gedenke

Wood looks great but dents and scratches easily with hard use, also slightly heavier. Synthetic is more durable and lighter, but doesn't look as nice. Your choice. I have both and like both, but for a field gun , synthetic holds up better and is a little easier to carry at the end of a long day. Personal preference really.

CK_32

Depends on what your going for..
wood looks sexy as hell... synthetic is built for use..

wood is heavier.. needs more TLC

synthetic might not look as legit. but is built for
out in the woods/range last you longer with less care.

All is persinal preference.

Pathfinder45

Walnut for me....

......I can make do with laminated wood and will tolerate synthetic on someone else's rifle. I do have black, "hard rubber", [plastic], grips on my stainless Vaquero, but we're talkin' rifles here and besides, I would rather have Myrtle wood or real Buffalo horn. On rifles I despise synthetic stocks. I don't express this contempt to others when they show me their black-stocked abomination; but rather find something more complimentary to say. My best shooting buddy loves that c--p. It doesn't stop us from having fun shooting together. We have friendly competitions: His black-stocked, Remington ought-six with Harris bipod and six-to-count-the-moons-of-Jupiter-powered scope against my Walnut stocked .270 model 70 Classic Winchester with 3x9 Leupold and no stinking bipod. When he shoots prone, I go sitting. When he sits I go off-hand. And I more than keep up with him. Funny thing though, when we switch to shot guns he's really clobbering me. If you like the looks of wood stocks better then by all means go with wood! There are plenty of worn, even antique guns with wood stocks that are quite serviceable inspite of several dings here and there.;)

Tikirocker

I can't get down with anything other than wood ... I've got battle rifles that survived two world wars with their original stocks still on them ( serial numbered to the receiver ) ...

So much for lack of durability ...

Tiki.

wogpotter

I'd go with a good laminated wood. Like the other guy said all the advantages of stability of a synthetic, & if you pick the "right" laminate it's as good-looking as wood. Laminates vary from glaringly obvious dyed with neon colors to really subtle laminates of the same wood that look like wood grain.

jmr40

Overall I like a GOOD synthetic stock. Lighter, tougher, more stable. The problem is most factory synthetics, as well as most of the cheaper aftermarket synthetic stocks are not very good. Walnut is going to be just as light as most of the cheaper synthetics, although probably not as durable.

Laminate stocks are the best bang for the buck. Almost as stable as a good synthetic, and pretty durable as well as cheaper than a good synthetic, or walnut. Their downside is that they are by far the heaviest. Good for a range gun but over the weight limit for me on a hunting gun.

The Kimber factory stock is one of the best out there. On a factory stock the Tikka is pretty good. I hear good things about the new Savage accustock, but have not actually seen one. The Ruger is not great, but is above average for a factory stock. The Remington as well as most other factory tupperware stocks are junk.

Many poeple just buy the cheapest gun available and toss the stock in favor of a much better aftermarket stock.This is what I have done with most of my rifles.

ddeyo1

wood is the way to go. I get little butterflies of pride when i can look at my rifle and see a nicly fitted walnut stock. Synthetic just doesnt do that for me

ZeroJunk

If fiberglass and polymers were around a few hundred years ago people would think you were nuts to use a wooden stock.

davlandrum

Synthetic.

I don't buy hammers with wood handles and I don't buy rifles with wood stocks. Pretty is not a requirement for my tools.

LordofWar

I have a love/hate relationship with both.

I use my premium rifles during hunts where I do not anticipate much bumps & scratches and bad weather.

Synthetic when I'm planning on going all outlandish. Also use synthetic furniture shotguns & rifles on night hunts in a vehicle. You'll get your rifle ruined while hunting in a vehicle.