Wood Grips: Smooth or Checkered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scaramanga

I just purchased a new CZ-75B and I am thinking of getting a set of Hogue wood grips for it. Would smooth grips be too slippery, or is it more of a personal taste sort of thing?

------------------
Strength does not come from physical capacity.
It comes from an indomitable will. -- Mahatma Gandhi

ptpalpha

Scaramanga, not familiar with your pistol, but I made my decision for smooth grips based on the fact that I had a checkered front strap and mainspring housing. And since I am a huge fan of pretty wood, it seemed a shame to cover up the swirls of my ebony grips with checkering if I could get by without it. No complaints to date, and the grips look fantastic.

Grayfox

From a functional point of view it depends on your hands. I have rough, calloused hands and find that smooth grips work best for me. Checkered grips tend to grab too much and this makes minor grip changes difficult without accually letting go of the gun.
If you have smooth, soft hands checkered would probably work better since they will give a better bite and more control.
Of course there are always exceptions to every rule. Go to your gunshop and handle several guns with both style grips and see which just feels better.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Depends on the wood for me... if you got a gorgeous peice of wood that shows nice grain and color - I would rather show it off - so sans checkering...

------------------
Not all Liberals are annoying... Some are Dead.
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Badger

I put a set of smooth rosewood on my CZ-75B from Hogue and a friend put a set of coco bolo on his.Both are beautiful pieces of wood. they are a bit slippery and unless Hogue has made some adjustments be prepared to do quite a bit of carving to get them to fit correctly.I like the grips a lot but wanted you to be aware that they may not fit as they should.

Status
Not open for further replies.