Woman sexually assaulted less than a block from my apartment!!!

melglock

Assault reawakens fears
Police tell residents to take precautions

By JENN FARRELL
JennFarrell@coloradoan.com

Temperatures are warming up, and Fort Collins residents have started opening their windows to let the breeze in.

But an incident Friday and another sexual assault earlier this month are reawakening thoughts of the danger that lurked last summer when six Fort Collins women were sexually assaulted in their homes.

Until Friday, police could only speculate on whether the suspect had moved on or if the warmer weather would bring him, and his crimes, back into the public eye. Although police currently do not have physical evidence linking the man in the Friday morning attempted assault of a 19-year-old woman, they are looking into the possibility that it's the same person.

In Friday's attack, a Colorado State University student, returned to her apartment in Ram's Pointe, 2250 W. Elizabeth St. around 3 a.m. She was planning to leave again and didn't lock the door behind her.

The man got into her home and grabbed her.

The woman fought, freed herself from the man and screamed, and the man left.

Once again, yellow police crime-scene tape stretched along an apartment balcony and around the front door. And like last year, the victim's description of her attacker was similar -- a stocky, dark-haired male with a dark complexion, about 5 feet 8 inches to 5 feet 10 inches tall who smelled of cigarettes.

Effie Papanastasiou, a CSU sophomore who lives near Friday's assault, said she heard about last year's assaults in the fall as she was moving into her apartment.

"I thought it was all over," she said.

Earlier this month, on April 5, a CSU student was sexually assaulted around 2 a.m. in a bathroom in Westfall Hall.

CSU police have said they do not know of any link between that case and any other crimes in Fort Collins, including last summer's sexual assaults. They also do not believe there is a link to the April 5 sexual assault and Friday's attack.

But the two incidents are reminders to Fort Collins community members of the need to watch out for their safety.

"Although the woman was not seriously physically injured, it is a reminder to all of us in Fort Collins about the importance of awareness of personal safety," read an alert CSU e-mailed to students, faculty and staff. "Since warm weather is returning, we want to also remind the community to always lock your windows and doors when you are home and when you are out."

Prior to the assaults, Fort Collins police had started putting alerts into the city's April utility bills. Those bills are a reminder that the serial sexual assault suspect still has not been found.

Even if the same person does not return to the community, someone else might take an opportunity to commit a similar crime.

"He may be in the area," Fort Collins police spokeswoman Rita Davis

"America's Most Wanted," the television show known for catching criminals, has been working on a segment on the assaults, but Fort Collins police still are awaiting word on when the segment will air.

"Unfortunately, this happened," Davis said. "Our community was shaken last year by the sexual assaults."

Fort Collins residents put their guard up last summer. They locked their doors and shut their windows, despite stifling heat. They bought window locks and at least one woman armed herself with a handgun.

In September, DNA linked the Fort Collins assaults to six assaults and a homicide in Philadelphia. The Philadelphia assaults occurred between June 1997 and August 1999. During an assault on May 7, 1998, Shannon Schieber, 23, was strangled and killed.

When the link was made, police released composite sketches created by the Philadelphia victims. None of the Fort Collins victims, including the woman assaulted Friday, were able to get a good enough look at the man to create a sketch.

Last year, Fort Collins police created a task force to investigate the sexual assaults. Sometime after the last attack, the task force as a whole stopped working, but investigators continued looking at the cases throughout the fall and winter, Davis said.

Police again are stepping up surveillance and are continuing to work on the cases, Davis said.

"We need to remain vigilant to our personal safety," Davis said.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Even in the best, most crime-free cities, you still get scumbags. Thankfully, I'm not a prime target since I'm male, but still, we're talking about a suspect who has raped a dozen women and killed one. All I can say is that if I ever encounter a rapist, assaulting anyone, I would kill him instantly. No mercy, no quarter, just a cadaver full of bullet holes.

/me pats his Glock 19

You might consider not being so hasty given that people sometimes make mistakes as to what they are actually seeing. How are you going to discern the difference between a woman really being raped versus some kinky couple living out a sex fantasy?

Not a prime target? Maybe not, but the lady in your neighborhood probably thought the same thing living in such a safe area. Some of the juciest target rich environments are areas where people feel so safe that they don't take prudent precautions such as locking doors and then they are surprised that something bad happened to them in their little 'safe' area.

"Safe" should not be associated with letting one's guard down.

This same **** has started in my town recently. One of the incidents was about a block from here. I work nights so my girlfriend gets pretty spooked when I'm gone. It makes me feel better knowing she has my P99 on the bedstand filled with HP's.:mad:

ronin308

A lot of people in college are extremely lax in their security. I had to drill it into my fiancee's roommates that you HAVE to lock your doors, even during the day. They are a bunch of country girls so they lived in houses where the doors where unlocked all the time...bad idea! I'm starting to train my fiancee to not walk around in condition white all the time too. The mindset needs to be developed first, then I'll give her the tools :)

Kentucky Rifle

I used to come home every day at lunch...

..and sort of "decompress" when I lived in a small apartment building in Cherokee Park. So did a young female student. The ONE day I decide to eat at a restaurant with some other guys, she get's attacked and raped. Had I came home that day, I would have heard her screams. I felt guilty about that for years. She and her roomates moved out THAT day. Unbelievalby, a month later one of her room-mate's was attacked and raped at the new apartment.

KR

Men should be teaching their womenfolk to always be alert to their surroundings. They should also teach them some basic defensive techniques.

Teach the girl to always be alert to their surroundings and by gosh, teach them how to shoot by the time they are 12!

A .22 is a good way to start.

gryphon

Sixgun,

I wish it was that easy. A lot of the women I know tell me that I'm paranoid when I bring up the fact that they are oblivious to the people that are around them. Their situational awareness more than half the time is somewhere in the negative.

Sad thing is that most people don't think that "it will happen to them".

ronin308

Gryphon is absolutely correct. Most people (especially young ones) think that because I practice situational awareness I must be paranoid or something. Paranoia is driven by fear, whereas awareness is driven by consciousness. My fiancee refused to believe that she had to be aware for a few months. So I started doing newspaper clipping. The daily reminder that some girl just like her ran into trouble yesterday was a big reality check.

joeislove

A couple of weeks ago, we were gearing up for a party here at the Compound, when a friend of mine walked up to me with a worried look and said he'd just got a disturbing call from his girlfriend. Seems she was walking to the party, and some guy had appeared on the other side of the road and started trying to get her attention with whistles, catcalls, etc. The weird thing is that he was completely naked.

She was only a couple of blocks away, so I told my friend to tell her to call 911 and we started up the street on foot to meet her. The festivities were still a couple hours away, so I was still armed with my normal carry (when there's a party, all my guns are field-stripped and locked up separately from the ammo, to safeguard against potential disaster).

We met her just up the street, as she'd picked up her pace as soon as she spotted the guy. She said she'd tried to call 911 twice; the first time she got a busy signal and the second time she was automatically put on hold for several minutes before she gave up and just started walking faster.

I live in a quiet little college town. It can't happen here. Except that it does, all too often. A few years ago, 10 or 12 female students were assaulted and raped in their apartments in the "nice" neighborhoods around campus. Maybe this guy was just a fraternity idiot pulling some sort of juvenile prank, as they are wont to do. Maybe not. Thankfully, we never had to find out.

Keep your eyes open. It's a dangerous world out there. Even in "nice" neighborhoods.

Mike in VA

I live in a 'nice neighborhood'. APBnews.com rates it as a '4' (low end of moderate risk). However, within a one mile radius in the last 18 months there have been two attempted rapes and a carjacking at the local Metro station parking lot, two murders in the apartment complex behind the grocery store, a drive by shooting in the 'high' skool, a warm burglary on the next block, and there are two registered sex offenders in the next neighborhood over. The bliss-ninney next door wonders why I keep a gun!?!?