Wolverine Videotaped In Forest Near Truckee

grymster2007

Wolverines in Truckee?

I think it's cool that these animals have shown up in California again. I always thought they were a far-north kinda animal.

What caliber for wolverine?

Howdya' cookem? I was thinking, grilled, covered with sauted mushrooms and collard greens and served over a bed of rice.:D

Gbro

Looks more like a fisher to me.
I would make a hat out of him if it is even legal to take one there.
But then eat it any way that is appealing to you:), Bobcat loins are wonderful grilled:)

Big Bill

No - that's definitely a wolverine. I've seen them in the deep woods of Idaho. Wolverines can't be hunted here in Idaho - they are too rare! They are the king of weasles.

mtnm

I saw a wolverine by Kid Lake with Gene and Steve Nadeu a long time ago.

They got off the horses for piuctures and he circled and ran right in front of me. They got his pict only he was just a little blot. :D

Gbro

Big Bill Say's
that's definitely a wolverine

You must have a better picture coming through, I just can't confirm anything.
Where is the video?
I have never seen a badger in the natural world. Have been told by hunters that they have seen one and they describe a badger:rolleyes:
My oldest Grandson ID'ed a Fisher when he was 6. We spotted it from a deer stand. He scored his 1st deer with a Daisey that Day! a going away shot to the hind end:)

bclark1

Grymster2007 said:
What caliber for wolverine?

You start with whatever you've got, and later use captured Kalashnikovs.

Wolverines_Logo.jpg

Sorry couldn't resist. :eek:

crowbeaner

We call them woods devils here. If you've ever trapped and had one invade your trapline, you'll know why. Miserable disposition; second only to my M-I-L.

Fat White Boy

I was watching a wildlife program that showed a fight between a badger and a wolverine. Talk about all Hell breaking loose! The sounds that came from them were like something not of this earth.

One of my buddies killed a badger while we were quail hunting outside of Bakersfield. It came out of a burrow as we walked by. A load of birdshot to the head from 5 yards did the trick...

roy reali

Badger Encounter

A couple of years ago I was bird hunting. I was on one side of a ditch and my dog was on the other side. The ground cover was semi-thick grass and scrub. My dog was on a trail of sorts. She came to a halt and I could see she was staring at something in front of her. From her behavior I knew it wasn't a bird or a rabit. So I crossed the ditch to investigae.

There was a creature in front of her. A dozen feet in front of her was a living, breathing badger. I was armed with a 20 gauge loaded with light loads of eight shot. For a second I thought of shooting. Then I realized that if the shot would not have been fatal, my dog might have rushed the wounded badger. Why the badger hadn't attacked my dog is still beyond me.

I started to slowly back off and called my dog to follow. Luckily my dog obeyed. We crossed the ditch and headed the other way. I wish I had a camera.

JustKev55

Uncalled for

Now I have to take offense to the "second only to my MIL" comment. That was completely uncalled for. How dare you insult wolverines that way?!?!?!

grymster2007

My brother and I were driving slowly through the forest when we came across a badger crossing the road. I jumped out to get a good look at him, but as soon as I got to the front of the truck he stopped and just looked at me kinda like "can I help you?"

attachment.php

I quickly heeded my brother's advice to get back in the truck while it was still possible. :)

But, while badgers are pretty common in the Sierra, wolverines are not and I think it's cool that they seem to be coming back. Always adds a thrill to be in the forest knowing that there are some bad boys like them around.

Attachments

• AnimalSymbolismBadger.jpg
    AnimalSymbolismBadger.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 454

grymster2007

Has anyone ever tried to make a pet out of a badger? Is it even possible?
Yes. IIRC they can make for good pets, especially when raised from very young. But I don't think I'd like to try and domesticate the guy in the photo I posted. :eek:

crowbeaner

I'm sorry to have offended you wolverine fans that way; how callous and unthinking of me. Truth remains the truth however; we don't call them woods devils for nothing. M-I-L? God's daily reminder that all his children hafta suffer. 'nuff said. CB.