Wolff recoil spring

hansolo

I just got a new 15# Wolff recoil spring for my CZ 75B 9mm. I took it out for it's break-in today: the pistol cycles great, but the new spring is about an inch longer than the OEM...Should I wait and see if it compresses, or clip a coil or two to shorten it?

Thanks!

saands

the pistol cycles great

Impulse response: At the risk of being too harsh ... why on earth would you want to change something that works great?

Technical response: several factors combine to determine the behavior of a coil spring ... the main ones are: material properties, wire diameter, coil diameter, and number of coils. When you use a coil spring in compression like a recoil spring, you are not using it without a preload, so the freelength is really irrelevant ... what is important is that in the range of normal operation it provides the correct force vs length profile. Cutting a couple of coils off of this spring will cause the profile to change and if that profile is currently the right one, then your modification would only make things worse.

Saands

hansolo

Sproingggg

The reason I "...would consider shortening the spring ..." is, it is WAY longer than the factory spring when it was new; therefore, it is very awkward to shove this long spring back into position after cleaning the pistol...:confused: This my third or fourth Wolff spring and it is the longest yet -- I'd call them, but they are closed for the night.

George Stringer

Staff Alumnus
On the face of it I agree with Saands. If it ain't broke.... But you could give Wolf a call and ask. They may have a very good reason for its being that long. George

hansolo

Reply to G.S.

Thanks, G.S.! I guess the spring straightens-out with the frame/slide assembled....but, with the slide-off and on it's back, the new longer spring bows upward and just looks bizarre! I'll contact Wolff today. Thanks for responding:cool:

yankytrash

I've had to shorten every 1911 spring I've ever bought so the pistol would go back together (so the slide stop would work). Please keep us updated.

C.R.Sam

Saands' presentation is excellent.

A call to insure that you indeed got the proper spring is also in order.

Sam

hansolo

Sproing

Thanks for your input. I emailed Wolff Gunsprings: I was told to not alter the spring. I will order a couple of stronger springs to keep in my tackle box...I know this is old stuff to you more seasoned shooters, but I'm trying to learn this stuff as quickly as possible. When I shoot some factory ammo(Blazer), the casings land no more than 3 feet from the pistol. Other brands in the same weight -- 115g 9mm -- such as Winchester Whitebox and Sellier & Bellot, land 9-12"....I realize this means I need a stronger recoil spring...16# seems to be the accepted standard, even though the CZ factory recoil spring is rated 14#. In my experience, i would need to fire a very light load to get by with this light a spring...oh well, part of the learning process!

Walt Sherrill

CZ factory springs are rated at 14#, but Wolff did some testing on a few, and found THOSE springs (not necessarily all CZ springs) to be closer to 12# than 14#.

I've upgraded both of my CZs (a pre-B and a 85 Combat) to 16#, and they work fine with a wide range of ammo.

sven

I just bought two 14s, a 15 and a 16 to do some testing with. I've been shooting some higher power 9mm ammo and want to see how the gun performs with each spring weight.

Wolff needs a new ordering interface, but their service is top notch!

Quack

hansolo,
3 feet is about right for how far the shell casings should go. the 9"-12" indicates that you need a LIGHTER spring.

saands

Hmmm ... I think he may have meant 9' - 12' ... they made a similar mistake on an overpass near where I live ... cost them about 4 million dollars :eek:

Saands

hansolo

Funny! BTW, Wolff says, if the brass is flying over 6-7 feet, you need a STRONGER spring...I think the Blazer's short trajectory is influenced by the aluminum casings:confused:

Quack

Han, are the shell cases going 9 - 12 FEET or INCHES?

if FEET, you need a stronger Spring

if INCHES, you need a weaker spring.

Ironbarr

Shooting at the farm, I usually lose about 65% of my brass to the grass - I'd love to have a spring that would drop them in my pocket. :) :)

Powderman

yankytrash--why do you have to shorten your springs? You should not have to shorten the spring at all in a 1911.

To get around your assembly problem (assuming a 1911 without FLGR) assemble the arm and put in the recoil spring plug last.