Wolf vs Barnaul

TonyPoulos

I just bought some Barnaul ammo for my new SAR-1. It was more expensive than Wolf. Specification-wise, the Barnaul HP's have a higher muzzle velocity.

Does anyone have a preference or reasons to favor one over the other?

Tony

MIKE14

I purchased 200rds of Barnaul a few months back and out of the first box I had three rounds fail to fire.
I've had better luck with the Wolf.
FWIW

SAWBONES

I've NEVER had a FTF with EITHER Barnaul or Wolf, and the Barnaul is CLEARLY hotter than the Wolf in 7.62X39. Not only does it FEEL hotter, it hits at a higher point of impact, and is slightly more accurate.
I can't tell any difference between the Wolf and Barnaul rounds in .223, as both have the same felt recoil, have similar accuracy (fair, but good enough for plinking) and are about equally "dirty", though they do have different combustion odors.
In .223 at least, I'd get whichever is cheaper. In 7.62X39, I'll pick Barnaul over Wolf. Best.

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I saw cheap Barnaul 30-06 and wanted to try it, now I can't find it anywhere. FWIW, 9x18 Barnaul was excellent and their 7.62x39 seemed decent, too. I reasoned I can try 20rds of 30-06 and see how it works. Saw it in some catalog, now can't find it.

TonyPoulos

Thanks for the feedback. $59/500 for Barnaul vs $42/500 for Wolf. We'll send a few hundred rds of each down range this weekend and see if there's more difference than the price.

Tony