wolf primers

rebs

Since wolf primers are no longer available what is your go to small rifle primer ?
To be used in 223.

For SR standard primers, I default to the Federal 205 or 205M in all but floating-firing pin self-loaders for which I have the Federal GM205MAR.

rodfac

Winchester for me...price is a big factor and for the most I'm no longer match loading for my HBAR Colt. Rod

I'll just mention, since the OP didn't say if he wanted only standard or both standard and magnum recommendations, to keep in mind CCI 450 is a magnum primer. The CCI 400 is their standard primer. The 400 has the advantage that CCI says it is identical to their 350 Magnum small pistol primer, but just in another box, so you get a two-fer with it. The 450 is the first formulation they developed for either magnum cartridges or for igniting ball powder best in non-magnum cartridges.

If the law changed and those can be imported again and are not just old stock, grab them. Wolf and TulAmmo have always been from the same plant and when both were available simultaneously, the advantages the TulAmmo brand had was they made military sensitivity primers (NATO spec) and Berdan primers for those few intrepid souls using them. I and board member Slamfire have both found the TulAmmo primers produce the lowest velocity SD's we could get in .30-06 (under 10 fps) for the Garand. The only downside is the cups have rough edges and burrs and can take some effort to seat properly, like pre-'90s CCI primers, or worse.

res45

Both Wolf & Tula are the same primers made at the Flame Murom Plant in Russia, they have been banned from importing into the US for several years now. I bought about 2K of each size many years ago for $10 per thousand.

Kram

I'd love to see a penny a pop for primers..
I'm a sick puppy, I've been buying some powder or primers every week since I got into reloading. You guys just make things worse. When my wife complains I blame you guys.

Marco Califo

Unis "ginex" gorade Primers

Try to find these:

I stocked up on the Tula 5.56M a couple of years ago. I would buy old ones, if I didn't have many.

Try to find these:
Unis "ginex" gorade
made in bosnia and herzegovina

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/74068

They are cheap. B & H is sort of a cultural/ethnic/political Russian exclave/puppet state in the former Yugoslavia. It started WWI.

I have seen suggestions that these may be made in/at Tula and repackaged in B & H. That may or may not be true. I bought some for 45 ACP, but have not tested them yet.

"UNIS GINEX PRIMER 5.56mm NATO-SPEC 5000/CS
Item #: UG453I
Price: $147.99$129.99 SALE!
You save 12%!
Shipping: One flat fee of $9.95 per online order.
Exclusions apply. Click for details.
$12.50 hazardous materials fee applies.
Click for details.
Special Pricing - No Further Discounts
Availability: In Stock"

Last edited:

USSR

When I first got into 1,000 yard F Class Competition 16 years ago, word went out from Highpower Rifle and Palma World Champion David Tubb that the Russian primers produced the lowest ES and SD numbers, and he bought 700,000 of them. At that time the primers were only imported by a guy in Phoenix, Arizona and came in a rather plain box with "NON-CORROSIVE, PRIMERS, Large Rifle, and KVB - 7 on them. I bought 5,000 of them and used them exclusively for competition. Eventually the Russian factory that produced them got contracts with PMC, Wolf, and Tula. They are indeed excellent primers.

Don

hagar

Remington 7.5. Winchester small rifle are about the worst you can buy, trust me, I know this from experience on the highpower lines.