Wolf Primers

epr105

Has anyone had any problems with wolf primers? I want to buy some but I am not sure if they are good.
EPR105

zxcvbob

I like 'em. I wish I had bought at least 15000 instead of just 3000 when I ordered some a few months ago to try them out.

But if you're loading small rifle primers for a very high-pressure cartridge (.223?) get the magnum primers. Their small rifle primers can't handle the chamber pressures -- or so I've read in several places. They work just fine in .30 Carbine though.

I've been loading 357 magnum with their small pistol magnum primers, no problems, although they tend to seat a little "stiffer", but its no big deal. No velocity difference either, compared to CCI magnum primers. I bought 10,000 Wolf small pistol primers, for loading 40 S&W, from Wideners, $210 delivered. That's a good deal.:)

epr105

Well it seems that everyone who posted is happy with the Wolf primers. I am going to buy 10,000. 5,000 small rifle magnum and 5,000 small pistol. I will post the results that I have on the forum. The price is good so I will take a chance less than 200 bucks for 10,000.
EPR105

RidgwayCO

This thread is a little dated, but still appropriate...

I just purchased some Wolf large pistol primers from Powder Valley, and wanted to test them versus my normal CCI 300 primers.

I chose a .44 Special round that has been good for me, consisting of a 185gr LSWC bullet loaded over 6.9gr of Unique (.82cc Lee Pro Auto-Disk cavity) to a COL of 1.465" with a moderate crimp over the front driving band from a LFC die (this bullet doesn't have a crimping groove). The test gun was a S&W 624 with a 4" barrel. 25 rounds were loaded with each primer, alternating them though the Lee Classic Cast Turret to make things as even as possible.

The CCI 300 numbers for 25 rounds were:
Avg - 890 fps, ES - 98, SD - 21

The Wolf LP numbers for 25 rounds were:
Avg - 903 fps, ES - 67, SD - 19

Not eye-popping numbers, but normal for me when using Unique. Every round went bang, with no primer failures.

I'll probably try this test again with Titegroup and an Oregon Trail 200gr LRNFP bullet and see how they fare. So far, I'm impressed with the Wolf large pistol primers. They seat with just a touch more effort in my Winchester cases than the CCI 300 primers (using an RCBS hand priming tool), but it's barely noticeable.

Last edited:

thetoecutter

Powder Valley lists Wolf primers in ".223" and "small rifle". What's the difference?

My understanding that the ".223" are supposed to be magnum primers with a slightly heavier cup to help prevent slam-fire on floating firing pin weapons.

They are in theory anyway the functional equivalent of CCI #41's.

TTC

Alleykat

Thanks, that's sort of what I suspected. I'm using small rifle primers for both .223 and 9mm reloading. Might go with the plain small rifle primers and take my chances with the AR.