Wolf Primers and Universal Powder

Uncle Buck

I am new to reloading and have 1k Wolf Large Pistol Primers and 1 lb of Universal powder that was given to me.
I want to reload .45 Colt, using a 250 grain LFlat bullet.

1. I have read that primers all act differently. Reloading books say use either Winchester LP or CCI 300 LP for my primers. Should there be a difference between the types of primers I use? (Can I swap a Wolf for a CCI or Winchester LP Primer?)

2. In regards to the powder, there is a chart on the front that list .45 ACP, but not the .45 colt. I know I can not just switch the loading data for the two types of .45 rounds (See, I did learn something!) but is there a formula that would work to convert from .45 acp to .45 Colt?

You folks have been great! I have learned a lot just from reading the boards and really appreciate everything you have taught me. Thanks.

putteral

http://www.reloadammo.com/45cload.htm Check out this site for your load. I have found that you can switch out any brand primer for another. I always use wolf primers without any problems and have not noticed any difference in performance with others I have used.( CCI,Federal,Winchester) I hopes this helps!

Mark whiz

The Hodgdon website shows your load range to be:

250 GR. CAST LRNFP Hodgdon Universal .452" 1.600"OAL 6.5 742 9,200 CUP 7.8 941 13,000 CUP

Always search the 'Net and what ever load sources you can find for any particular cartridge you load for - never try to convert from 1 case to another without good data.

Ditto to what putteral said about primers.

NWPilgrim

When you use a different primer than is listed in the load data (or do any other variation from the listed specs) you should begin loads at the Starting amount and work up gradually (0.2 gr or so) to the max loads, watching for signs of too much pressure.

But, some of us don't want max loads anyway, we always stay near the starting loads to save powder, reduce case wear, reduce pistol wear, and increase the margin of overall safety. If you stay near Starting load levels, then you could change primer brands with no worries.