Wolf inconsistency

Willie D

A while back I bought a case of 62gr Wolf polymer coated .223 FMJ ammo (Black Box, Tula arsenal) for use in my AR.

I have had generally good results from this ammo. Groupings are under 3" using irons at 100yds - except when they spontaneously start flying elsewhere - or even seem to group tightly in a new spot.

Now I'm not saying operator error is not to blame what so ever but while I was loading a mag the other day I loaded 4 cartridges in a row and noticed that each one was significantly different.

Here is a picture of that box showing at least 4 different head stamps. Some read ".223 Rem", others ".223 REM". Some versions of ".223 Rem" look to have been struck in a different font and a few rounds have a Pepsi-like symbol instead of "Wolf". Some of the cases have different rim shapes and few bullets are visually different.

All the boxes in my case were from the same "lot" and most show some degree of the same cartridge variation. The majority of cartridges have a bold .223 Rem stamp. While it could be that Tula simply runs their assembly line using a mix of parts (bad enough), I think the more likely scenario is that Tula or Wolf simply fill their boxes from bins of ammo of indeterminate age.

I'm not a Wolf basher and for the price paid this has worked well as plinking ammo. Overall accuracy has been better than a few other brands I've shot but as explained, sometimes those groups just go out the window. I wonder if this sort packaging inconsistency is common and if it's the cause of a lot of Wolf gripes?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 54

AK103K

Sounds like about par for Wolf, or at least my experience with their 7.62x39. Some cases seem OK, others not good at all. More often than not, I usually get a few duds per case as well.

Mausermolt

i actually had a primer blow up in my AR and spray crap all over my face from a 223 wolf round. they didnt drill a flash hole. needless to say ive shied away from Wolf. Tula on the other hand ive shot plenty and i havent had a problem yet. but i agree with the buy better ammo post. just go get some PMC bronze, its cheep and if you dont reload you can sell the brass

Willie D

Mausermolt: I had the exact same thing happen to me...with a round of .223 Tulammo.

They supposedly come from the same factory so I'm not sure one is going to be significantly better than the other.

As to the other criticisms: I'm not expecting wonderful ammo when I pay almost 50% less a round. I just want to shoot more and let friends have some fun with my AR. I shoot the good stuff when I need to.

The purpose of this thread and what I found interesting/alarming was Wolf's concept of lots and batches and how it probably leads to some of their negative reputation. I don't know if "Wolf" gets their ammo packaged BY Russian munitions factories or does it themselves somewhere else but the markedly different components indicate that their idea of a uniform product is considerably different than here in the west.

Willie D

Again, I'm ok with plinking with lesser ammo because I got 1000 rounds for the price of 650 of the cheapest brass cased stuff at time of purchase.

My results using Wolf with my (not very expensive) AR have not been awful but I can't help but think that if Wolf followed a few no-brainer manufacturing steps like using uniform components or not mixing batches of ammo, they could put out a product that satisfies more customers.

Prof Young

Wolf case extreme expansion

So I used to own a Rem model 7 in 223. I tried some wolf ammo and most of it shot just fine. However, one case expanded so much that I thought I was going to have to take it to a gun smith just to get the bolt open. Took a plastic mallet and some careful but firm "tapping" to get the bolt open. No more wolf for me after that.
Live Well, be Safe
Prof Young

Jo6pak

Guess I've been lucky, I've fired thousands of rounds of Wolf and Silver Bear thru my DR200 over the years and never had a single problem. Sure it's not the most consistent ammo in the world but for the price it does the job for plinking.
Not saying that there aren't issues with it, but I've personally never had FTF, FTE, or dud round.

TX Hunter

If You buy cheap Ammo You should not expect consistency or great accuracy. Thats just the way it is.

Last edited:

AK103K

If You buy cheap Ammo You should not expect consistency or great accuracy. Thats just the way it is.
That isnt always the case. Ive bought some surplus over the years, both 7.62 and 5.56, that was basically "match" ammo, and it was dirt cheap.

TX Hunter

AK

Surplus ammo is different than low cost new Ammo. Anything Surplus is just sold at used gear prices, dosent mean its an inferior product. I shoot some Wolf, Tula, Silver Bear ect. I buy it because its cheap and lets Me shoot a little more. I dont get bent out of shape if its not as good as the more premium brands.

Willie D

Question, do you get better groups out of Prvi Partizan*?

Actually, this is one I can answer.

The accuracy I've gotten from 62gr Wolf has been generally been better than Privi 55gr m193, roughly equivalent to 62gr m885, and unequivocally worse than Privi 69gr .223 Match ammo.

Wolf was .20 cents a round, m193 and m885 were .40cents, and the Match ammo was .50cents.

Ben Dover

One must bear in mind that Wolf, and other "economy" ammo is not premum, and is intended for "plinking" and informal range use.

I've expended a considerable amount of this type of ammo in my campsites for terminating "Maurading pine cones" and similar targets.:D

I have no expectations of "high" levels performance from it.