Wolf 7.62X39 ammo changes?

MosinM38

Just curious on a couple of things.

Is there any differance between the Military Classic and Black Box Wolf ammo?

I ask because the only Military Classic ammo I can find, now has a polymer coating, and the Black Box stuff is just steel (no coating).

Two years ago when I picked up a 1,000 round case (Yeah...I ain't shot the SKS that much), I bought Military Classic because IT was just steel and the Black Box stuff had Polymer coatings.....

Now I'm confused :p They switch boxes? or do their specifications for each change on the whims of whomever packages it over in Russia?

Tidewater_Kid

I don't have an answer, but I noticed the same thing at the range today. The Military Classic had the polymer coating. I bought a 100 rounds of this ammo Wednesday.

TK

MosinM38

Yeah I don't like it.

The reason I liked the Military Classic (I picked up 1K rounds of .223 as well), was because it didn't have polymer...

I don't want that junk in the chamber of my rifle....

LouPran

Isn't the polymer coating supposed to be better???

That's what I was told....

Here's what the manufacturer claims ...

------
WOLF unveils the next generation ammunition with POLYFORMANCE™ an advanced technology polymer coating. All WOLF ammunition is backed by a 100% PERFORMANCE GUARANTEE.

· Superior Reliability: The application of the polymer creates a precision uniform coating around the casing. It produces a bullet with persistent, uncompromising, stable dimensions thus leading to smooth reliable extractions.

· Better Functioning: The superior lubricity improvement eases wear in gun chambers and alleviates excessive operational and maintenance issues associated with rapid firing. The development of this polymer represents a break-through in the field of tribology, and incorporates the most recent chemistry in terms of lubricity improving molecules.

I shoot a lot of steel cased 5.56 stuff in my ARs and I gotta say that I don't care if they say they sprinkled fairy dust on the cases, they will still carbon up your chamber. Doesn't matter if you use the Silver Bear, Golden Bear, Brown Bear, or any of the Wolf variants, steel doesn't expand as much as brass. Because of the case not expanding to fill up the chamber completely, you will get some carbon blow by on the chamber walls.

Having said that, I still use a lot of the stuff because it's economical, but You do have to get intimately acquainted with a good chamber brush. When the carbon builds up too much in the chamber, it can reatrd the extraction of the fired case, resulting in a short-stroking in ARs.

IMHO

Wolf 7.62x39 has had a polymer coating for about two years or so.

Does this mean new?

Their .223 was shipped to my house in June '08, also with polymer coatings.

Cleaning chambers often will help prevent stuck cases, whether in a Mini 14 or 30. If you clean for a few minutes, those dirty Russian by-products are not a problem.

Last edited:

MosinM38

I know it'll get dirty, especially with Wolf, regardless of polymer coating.

Still didn't like it.

Oh well....if I wanna shoot Wolf, better learn to live with it I guess.

Although for the life of me I can't figure why they Polymer coat it....I can't believe it helps feeding that much.

FrankenMauser

I shoot a lot of steel cased 5.56 stuff in my ARs and I gotta say that I don't care if they say they sprinkled fairy dust on the cases, they will still carbon up your chamber. Doesn't matter if you use the Silver Bear, Golden Bear, Brown Bear, or any of the Wolf variants, steel doesn't expand as much as brass. Because of the case not expanding to fill up the chamber completely, you will get some carbon blow by on the chamber walls.

I know it'll get dirty, especially with Wolf, regardless of polymer coating.

You guys are missing the point.

The Polymer coating was not about carbon. Since when did "superior lubricity" mean 'less carbon'?

It's about extraction. The previous coating on the ammo was a lacquer-based product. When heated, it would become somewhat sticky and pliable. So... during rapid fire sessions, many people would have cases stick in the chamber. Often, this resulted in broken cases; or cases requiring some heat to force the lacquer to release. Or... the lacquer would build up in the chamber, slowly reducing the chamber dimensions, until the shooter could not chamber a round.

The polymer coating doesn't react to the heat, the way the lacquer did. So, you don't get as many stuck cases (I haven't had a single stuck case, since the change), and the chamber doesn't get loaded with impenetrable goo.

It's about "superior lubricity", not carbon fouling.

If you haven't been shooting 7.62x39 for more than 10 years, I can see how you may not have known about previous issues. Lacquer build up, and chamber heat were things that had to be carefully managed in the past.

"You guys are missing the point.

The Polymer coating was not about carbon. Since when did "superior lubricity" mean 'less carbon'?

It's about extraction. The previous coating on the ammo was a lacquer-based product. When heated, it would become somewhat sticky and pliable. So... during rapid fire sessions, many people would have cases stick in the chamber. Often, this resulted in broken cases; or cases requiring some heat to force the lacquer to release. Or... the lacquer would build up in the chamber, slowly reducing the chamber dimensions, until the shooter could not chamber a round.

The polymer coating doesn't react to the heat, the way the lacquer did. So, you don't get as many stuck cases (I haven't had a single stuck case, since the change), and the chamber doesn't get loaded with impenetrable goo.

It's about "superior lubricity", not carbon fouling."

I've heard about the "lacquer build up" in a number of forums, but I've also seen a lot of posts that claim it's not true. I've been pumping Brown Bear - with lacquer coating - in both the 7.62x39 and the 5.56 in my ARs for quite awhile and have never seen lacquer build up cause short stroking. I have, on the other hand seen carbon build up cause short stroking after a few hundred rounds of shooting. The build up is more of a problem in the tighter match chambers and can happen with as few as 5 or 10 rounds. That having been said, I can imagine where a polymer coating might provide superior lubricity, but that may only buy you another 100 rounds or so before the shortstroking begins, depending on your chamber tolerances and whether or not it's chrome lined.

Just my 2 cents...

Skans

I like the poly-coating for several reasons:

1. It forms a better seal in the chamber
2. less direct contact with steel case and my rifle.
3. Added protection against corrosion during long term storage.
4. Contrary to popular myth - the polycoat doesn't melt in your chamber. If it doesn't melt in the chamber of my AC556 after doing full-auto mag dumps, it's not going to melt in your AR15 or AK-47. It was the old lacqer that would melt and cause problems.