Wolf .308 shoots under 2MOA for me

Dave R

Those interested in Wolf .308 might remember me asking about it earlier, then buying some, then testing under plinking conditions, where I thought it performed petty well. I promised to report when I got a chance to take it to the range and shoot it at 200 yards.

Well, I took it to the range today (after weeks of rainy weather) but I didn't shoot it at 200 yards. Wind was whipping, and I thought it would open up the groups too much at 200 yards. So I shot it at 100 yards.

Even with the nasty wind (10-20 mph, shifting from right side to quartering behind) I consistently got groups of 1.5". That's with my Rem700, which shoots sub-MOA with handloads, and 2 MOA with South African and Portugese surplus.

So it looks like the Wolf shoots at least as well as good surplus.

I have to confess, I hate Wolf in 9mm. I tolerate it in .223 in my AK (Sar-3) because its cheap and functions fine. It is also the least accurate ammo I have tried in my AK. But it seems to perform fine in .308. So it is a legitimate alternative to surplus, if you need one.

kymasabe

Thanks for the report. I haven't been able to find Wolf .308 locally so have been using South African surplus in my Saiga .308 AK. Interesting though, I have an old MilSurp Mosin-Nagant M44 carbine (7.62x54R) and have tried some milsurp ammo, the best I've tried so far is the Polish surplus stuff. But, the Wolf in this size is surprisingly accurate, soundly beating surplus for accuracy. And, I hear that Wolf Match Target in .22LR is one of the most sought after .22LR rounds because of it's accuracy. Maybe the stuff is worth taking another look at.

OJ

My experience with Wolf .308 in my M1A was very good also as it has been with .223 in my Mini 14 Ranch Rifle. I also shot some 30-30 wolf in my Winchester 94 Tuesday and it shot inder 3" at 100 yards - which as about as good as I can shoot with my tremor of advancing age (closer to my 80th birthday than my 79th) - not complaining, mind you - I'm just glad to shoot every week and get a 100+ mile ride on my motorcycle.;)

I haven't shot any pistol ammo in Wolf - prices of Blazer are lower at Natchez - last order I got a week ago $8.99 per box of 50 in 20 box lots.

:D :D