wolf .223 round - reversed primer?

2002gti

today at the range i had a misfire . i looked at the round and it looks like the primer is in backwards. anyone else seen these on wolf before? seems like pretty shoddy quality controll, i wonder what goes behind the doors at night. not knocking wolf i love em. this is my first failure after somewhere near 4000 rounds of assorted wolf.

P95Carry

First I have heard of .. all mine (1,000's) been fine. I guess in production runs of millions ... Murphy could just sneak by and invert a primer .... just one would be hard to catch with even great QC.

I'd guess the prod' line is 99% fully automated.

No, not on Wolf, but generally speaking you don't hear of a lot of problems on any type of name brand ammo. I did see the particular problem on Winchester White Box .45 acp round. The guy shooting pulled the trigger and there was a pop, but is subdued one. The primer was in backwards and did discharge when struck. No damage to the gun or the round itself which obviously did not discharge.

orlando5

2002gti I would like to see a picture of the round/primer that misfire on you.

I don’t know what kind of primer that allows it to be discharged when hitting the explosive side of it. Winchester White Box with the reverse primer should not have discharged. In my own experience I have deprime hundreds of live primers and not once did it discharged on me.

Misfire happens, even in premium rounds.

Mal H

Staff
orlando5 - It is not at all surprising that a primer will pop when hit with a firing pin. The priming compound is designed to go off when rapidly crushed. The amount of shock required (or lack of it) is important in primer design. When depriming live primers, you are not supplying the required shock so they will almost never go off.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
i looked at the round and it looks like the primer is in backwards. anyone else seen these on wolf before? seems like pretty shoddy quality controll,

It happens, and with all kinds of ammo, too. I've seen primers in sideways and backwards, bullets seated upside-down, deformed brass, et cetera. It pays to give a quick glance at the cartridges that one is loading in one's weapon.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Actually, it pays to function cycle the rounds you place in your weapon before declaring it ready for field or street.

I prefer visual comparisons, as bullet setback gives me the willies. .45 ACP is known for that, and in a 1911 a round can have cycle problems from being too short as well as too long. :eek: