Wobbly Grips

TX_RGR

Is this a common problem for revolvers? I have one with walnut grips. The screw is as tight as it ever could be, and is not loosening. Yet, when I pick it up, there is this little bit of wobble. It's not horrible. It's kind of a picky thing, I guess, but it bugs me. I am thinking there must be a way to tighten things up, but like many here, I don't want to dick it up. Doyou think something as simple as a light sanding would set things right? Other suggestions?

CarbineCaleb

So, without being able to actually see what is happening, it sounds like you are saying the fastener is tight, but the item still wobbles. In that case, I'd say the wobble is due to a mismatch between the mating surfaces of the two parts.

Trouble is, you don't know there the trouble is - the grips could be nonplanar, or the grip frame, or both. So removing material may not work out.

I'd try adding some malleable material that will conform to the two surfaces under pressure and fill in any gaps. Assuming that the grip screws put pressure between the grips and grip frame, one suggestion would be to try some single layer grey cardboard, and slide that between the two of them - that might be 1/16" or thinner, and may be able to get rid of your wobble without any risk of making matters worse. Another material that might work would be a bicycle inner tube (just cut to a single layer) - it's about the same thickness, but will "flow" better than the cardboard under pressure.

clt46910

it seems that your grips do not fit well. Look for spaces, loose places, or just not a good fit in the grips.

You have several opitions, but the one best for you would be your choice. I would personally find other grips. Some I liked.

Barring that, I would put spacers around the grips I have and see what happens. Could be just a piece of paper for now or the edge of a card, sometimes does not take much.

Good luck on what you try.

Sir William

I suggest a new set of grips and throw out what you have. If they were aftermarket, they were not fitted properly. I tend to believe they were misaligned and shaped. The exposure to moisture or heat can change the fit of wooden grips. If they are ivory or stag or bone or horn exotic grips, rub vegetable oil into them. If the grips are polymer resin, boil them in hot water and wipe them dry before reinstalling. I have had grips that were drilled too large to secure onto the frame pin. I use superglue and sanding dust to fill the hole and then redrill the holes. If they are too small at the top arch to fit into the frame, there isn't much that can be done.

Dfariswheel

Poor fit of wood grips is common, and the fix is fairly simple.

First, remove the screw and 1 side of the grip.
Move it around to spot the problem area.

It will be either at the top where the grip interlocks with the cut in the frame, or it'll be at the bottom where the grip fits over the cross pin on the lower part of the grip frame.

One you've found the mis-fit area, coat the frame around the area with a coat of wax. I use Johnson's Paste Floor wax. Put on a good coat, and DON'T wipe it off.

Mix up a bit a 5 minute epoxy and apply a little in the problem area.
Put the grips on, and snug the screw down, being sure to align the two halves properly to the frame.

Let stand for 15 minutes, remove the grips, and do the other side.

This is a permanent "fix".

TX_RGR

Thanks for all the responses. I am going to try some of your suggestions out. I love this forum! :) I definitely see a space between the grips if I wedge my thumbnail in there. I was actually thinking of maybe putting some cardboard or what have you, but with a space in between the two, it seemed as if my problem was more like misfit or mishapen, so I started wondering if sanding might do something. I will try your suggestions first.

TX

CarbineCaleb

A mountain bike innertube should be big enough to easily span grip frame if cut open, and will cost you about $3 at KMart. :D Just cut it to match the shape of the grips and a little smaller so it will look neat, and I think that should do the trick - and it preserves both the grips and the gripframe as is, so it can't make things worse.

Bullrock

You don't say what revolver or what grip. Is it a factory grip? I've had some problems in the past fitting grips, and I was able to fix the problem with some very minor changes.

I have a GP-100, and purchased Houge wood grips. I put them on, and they wobbled. I noted I couldn't get the screw to tighten. I called Houge. They sent me several different sized screws. I used the short screw, everything tightened, and goodby wobble.

Many revolvers have a take down pin near the bottom of the grip frame. I've had two sets of Eagles that didn't fit right because the holes in the wood grips that accomodate the take down pin were not drilled deep enough. Took out my Dremel, and drilled the holes down until they fit right....

Hope this helps some...

magsnubby

i've had the same problem with a couple of different aftermarket grips. My fix was the same as Defariswheel's. Except i used wood putty instead of epoxy. Either one should do the job.

Ben Shepherd

Skateboad tape. Comes in diferent thicknesses and grits. Sticky side on the frame, rough side towards the grips. Done.

The grips fit, but you didn't permanently alter the gun.