Wobble Factor

rezmedic54

Anybody have any suggestions on helping me reduce my wobble factor. Just when I think I have it worked out I get a rotten group going. Any help would be great. Thanks, Kurt

wayne in boca

Everyone wobbles.It's because we have heartbeats and have to breathe,and our muscles and eyes grow weary.The trick is to make our rifle fire when the sights are aligned with the target.Some people try to eliminate the wobble by using slings,bench rests, sandbags,shooting sticks, or tree limbs to stabilize the rifle.Target rifles are sometimes deliberately weighted to make them more stable.Others use a deliberate "figure eight" sight picture around the target and time the trigger release to (hopefully) coincide with target alignment,particularly when shooting while standing.The best results are almost always from using a rest of some kind.Good luck,and no coffee.:)

rezmedic54

Wobble

Thanks for the help I have tried this and it helps just need more practice I guess it's like anything else the more you do the better you get. Thanks Again, Kurt

FirstFreedom

Judging by your mini-resume there, I doubt there's anything I could tell you that you don't already know - the older we get, the less steady we are - just the way it is. Other than use of a sling, or elbow resting on thrust-out hip, I guess just practice, practice, practice. If you can't eliminate the wobble, then a good light trigger helps you to fire right when you hit the correct sight picture. Also, make sure that you're not flinching - have someone load a rifle with several live rounds, and randomly place a snap cap in with the live ones, and hand you the rifle. Feed and fire the whole mag without looking at the action when you cycle it, and you will see whether or not you have a flinch. Doesn't cure the wobble factor, but IF you fix the wobble problem by having a good trigger and firing at the right moment during mid-wobble, it still won't help you if there's a flinch, but will help you if there's no flinch; so you need to isolate whether there's one problem or two happening.

nbkky71

I guess just practice, practice, practice

DING DING DING... we have a winner! FirstFreedom hit the nail on the head: you gotta get out there and practice.

However, reducing your wobble area doesn't require live-fire practice and can easily be accomplished indoors. I practice in the garage using a black paster on the wall as an aiming black.

A fellow highpower shooter showed me a drill that I use nowadays. It has greatly helped my offhand shooting. My AR comes in at nearly 17 pounds, so it really is a workout.

- Get on all your gear as if you're shooting in a match: coat, glove, stool, hat, sweatbands, boots, etc.
- Establish your NPA and shoulder your rifle.
- Dry-fire the shot and hold that position for 1 minute, paying attention to your wobble.
- Lower the rifle and rest for 1 minute.
- Repeat for 20 simulated shots.

I practice this drill once a week at home indoors... usually Wed evenings after work. Sunday mornings are spent at the range getting some live-fire practice in. When I have a match coming up, I'll spend the Mon, Wed and Fri before snapping.

Whatever/however you decide to practice...just be sure to stick with it and you'll see an improvement.

Last edited: