Wnichester 1886 .45-90

Buzzcook

My late father in laws first rifle. He bought it used in the late 20's or early 30's.
He told us how pissed off he was when he found out he had to special order ammunition. He used it for several years till he could afford a more conventional bolt action.
I was wondering how rare the 45-90 was compared to other calibers in the 1886?
Given the cost of a box of shells I can understand why it's not real popular now.
Another son in law got it so I don't have the serial number handy. So I'm not asking about the value of the rifle itself.
From what the old guy said it was a sweet gun to shoot.

Not 100% certain, but the .45-90 was a pretty popular and common chambering in the 1886.

Not rare by any stretch of the imagination.

bigbird34

45-90

The 1886 was the biggest,strongest lever action manufactured by winchester,designed by Browning,and the design was sold to winchester,the biggest caliber was the 50-110 express,all the cartridges were "black powder" if I remember correctly ,the smallest being either 33 WCF or 32WCF or there abouts,The Model 1886 was chambered in at least a dozen different calibers ,and is highly collectable today ....depending on condition ,the 45-90 it may be worth more than you know ....Winchester collectors are a serious bunch of people....

You could buy 45 basic brass ,cut it to the proper length and make some black powder rounds to shoot the rifle ,but the set-up may cost you a bit,and you'd want to use the correct BP.....back then 45 caliber 90 grains of BP was quite a punch ,I don't recall WHAT type of black powder they used....

Good Luck BB34

I believe that the .33 WCF, the last round developed for the 1886, was never offered as a blackpowder round; smokeless only.

Buzzcook

I was kinda hoping it was rare enough to give to a museum.
I'd like to shoot the 1886 but won't have a nervous fit if i don't.
I gave a thought to reloading but my set up isn't going to handle that round. I haven't asked around to see if the other guys if they can do reloads that size.
I think it'll end up hanging above the mantel at my in laws.
Sometime around Christmas we'll be up there and I'll see about getting the serial numbers and maybe getting some pics. Then I'll resurrect the thread.

Buzzcook

Oh, the 1884 was certainly the largest lever action frame offered by Winchester, but I suspect that the 1895 was stronger.

The 1895 handled the true high-intensity cartridges of the day: 7.62x54 Russian, .30-03, .30-06, and .30-40 Krag.

If it's in good condition and the serial number puts it into the "smokeless age," don't hesitate to shoot it. But only a competent gunsmith can really tell if it's in shootable condition.

As for Ten-X ammo, they want some really stupid high prices for quite a few rounds that are still commonly available today.