Wnchester pre64 30WCF experts.. Do you hunt with your antique ??? I think I need one.

Mystro

I have had a itching for a old classic pre 64 Winchester 94. Out of all my years with hunting, I have never owned a classic 30-30. I want a brush gun and want a classic old Winchester. All my guns are shooters no matter how much they cost. I found a decent shape Winchester 30wcf at my LGS. I believe it was a 1918 gun and had 30wcf on the barrel. I am going to look at it again on Monday. They seemed to sudjest it is a pretty rare/collectable model. Price is $800.00 and given its not perfect shape, it might be a sought after model. Its not perfect and has some scratches but over all a beautiful old gun that might be exactly what I am looking for. Do you collectors of old Winchesters shoot and hunt with your guns????? How are these old guns with modern ammo?

Hunter Customs

I was at an auction a while back and was bidding on a half mag 94 with ladder rear sight in 32 special.
It was a sweet old rifle that I intended to use for hunting, but I got out bid.
Kicked myself in the backside all the way home for not bidding more.

However it all worked out in the long run because the next week end I bought an old Savage 99 light weight take down model in 250-3000 Savage caliber.

I now have two savage 99's, love them both and hunt with both of them.
There's just something about being in the woods with an old lever gun.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

PetahW

Mystro said:
Do you collectors of old Winchesters shoot and hunt with your guns?????
How are these old guns with modern ammo?

Every year, with whatever promotional (cheap) .30-30 ammo I happen to run across.

It shoots "minute-of-deer-ear", at the ranges I usually hunt, in the "buck bedrooms" of swamps, & heavy brush.

I won't hunt where I can see 5 miles - IMO, what's the point ?
If I want to view scenery, there's always the family vacation - and the old Winchester fits right into my hunts.

More than anything else, though - they're Smooooth cycler's. . :p

Ibmikey

I shoot all of my 73, 92, 94 etc Winchesters...that is what they are made for, OldStony has a 73 SRC 44-40 that he routinely shoots boar with.

jaysouth

After doing irreparable harm to vintage guns with deep blue finishes and fine walnut stocks, I hunt with current production Marlin lever guns, H&R single shots and Remington Express shotguns.

All do what they are supposed to do and can't be harmed by bouncing in ATVs or getting wet or bloody.

jmr40

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. I'd have no problem hunting with my 1958 model 94. But if I had a 1918 model I'd probably take her to the range for some limited shooting, but it wouldn't be a primary hunting rifle for me. But that is just me, some would only pick it up wearing gloves and others would hunt with it every day of the season just like a new rifle.

As long as you are using factroy spec ammo and the rifle is in good mechanical condition it wouldn't hurt anything to shoot it.

eastbank

i shoot my winchester lever actions, from the newest 94 angle eject to a 1876 special order rifle. i shoot them all mostly with cast bullets at moderate speed. cal,s 30-30 32spl,38-55,38-40,44-40 and 45-60. i have a few marlins that i shoot also. pic is of my 1876 in 45-60 , it will be the last to go. eastbank.

Attachments

• Picture 902.jpg
    Picture 902.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Picture 903.jpg
    Picture 903.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 34
  • Picture 904.jpg
    Picture 904.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Savage99

Mysto,

From your previous posts I recall that your a knowledgeable shooter.

I have shot M70's since 1955 and have the 1957 Varmint rifle in the car now. I am going hunting after I finish this.

I have hunted in the brush since 1953 and went though third rate 722's and heavy P-17's. In 1966 I got a 99F in .358.

I have handled M94's. They like others have good lines. I never bothered with one what with no scope and that weak cartridge, lack of a decent safety etc.

Get what you want. Guns can come and go.

tas5.jpg

8X57, 30-06, 358, 358. No weak cartridges here. :)

shafter

I probably wouldn't take it out in the snow and rain but I certainly would get it out in the woods for a hunt every now and then.

Mystro

Found a nice one

Well, I found a nice Pre64 Model 94. Its serial number places it a 1955. Very good rifling. It looks like a great shooter and in original honest condition.
It was pretty clean but I did clean it well when I got home today. What do you think???

Old Stony

Great looking shooter! I'm not afraid to hunt with any of my old levers because that is what they were designed for. It only takes a few minutes to wipe one down when you get home and what other caliber has taken more deer than the 30/30?

Mystro

That's just it, I have killed deer and black bear with about everything from Bow, Handgun, Rifle, but never owned a lever action 30-30 and I am even in Central Pa. the heart of 30-30 country..:D

One question about the Lever action...I loaded it up with 7 rounds in the tube just to feel the action after I cleaned it,(very smooth and throws the round in a flipping motion over my shoulder). Question: The rounds that went through the action were scratched up from the bottom of the bullet to the bottom of the shell casing. I assume it is the action of the round being slid up in the chamber. Is this normal???

Old Stony

Probably a good chance the scratches are from the loading gate. Some of the gates have a fairly sharp edge to them. Normally scratches like these are just very superficial and don't hurt a thing.

Lucas McCain

i have a 30 WCF rifle with an octagon barrel, crescent butt plate with the rocky mountain sites. My grand father bought it in 1917,new with a box of shells, a insert / adapter that allows you to shoot 32 S&W as a single shot, and a cleaning rod for $13 at the Callaway Hardware store.
It holds 11 winchester 30-30 silver tips. That rifle has been used to hunt deer just about every year since it was new. They were made to be used as tools, not decorations over the door. They are like a pigs nose, the more you use it the tougher it gets.
I take issue with those that consider the 30-30 a weak cartridge. with 150 grain silvertips, thats the old zinc lead silvertip, not the new plastic one, I will kill a deer just as dead and just as quickly as those of you with your super mags. I've done it my self a few times and saw my father do it also. The sites are very fine so long range 250 yard shots are possible. Its all about shot placement, not magnum performance. :D

FrankenMauser

I don't own a Pre-64 M94, but I hunt with with full power loads in every old rifle and shotgun I own.

Including current and past residents of my safe, some of the birth years of "old" rifles/shotguns are:
1906-1907
1928 (approx.)
1933 (approx.)
1973 - not an "antique" by any means, but the rifle was a factory prototype, as far as the Mossberg Historical Society could tell. ;)

(The 1906 is a black powder shotgun that has not been fired, yet. But, I fully intend to hunt grouse with black powder loads in it.)

If a problem arises, so that I am no longer willing to put full power loads through the rifle/shotgun and I have no reason to keep it for parts... I sell it. I have no use for firearms that are only good as 'decorations'.

----
Savage99 - That's a great looking 99, even with the scratches.

newfrontier45

I have a 1901 vintage 1894 .30WCF that has at least half of its original finish. Good bluing on the barrel, magazine tube and receiver. Traces of case colors on the lever and other parts. I hunt with it all the time, although I try to restrict it to cast bullets most the time.

FrankenMauser

Why restrict it to cast bullets?
Most people do it to keep pressures lower, and reduce wear on the bore. The lower pressures reduce action wear (theoretically).

In theory, it results in a rifle that's in better shape when you pass it on to your son/daughter/grandchild/etc.

BMR

model 94 question

I just bought a Model 94 with production date in the mid 50's. Seller said it may have been restored. It does not have the normal stamping on the left side of barrel near reciver that says winchester model 94 30-30. Instead it has a small stamp at back of barrel in the center. It is a very light stamp that looks like a P ontop of a W. The stamp is about the size of a pea. The same stamp is also on the top of the receiver close to where the barrel goes into the receiver. My question I have is this this a winchester barrel? Does the barrel change the value of the rifle. How do I know the caliber is 30-30. If so what concerns if any should I have. Should I reurn the rifle and purchase one with the normal stampings? If not can anybody point me in the right direction. Thanks