Witness 10mm, MegaStar, Glock 20?

jtduncan

I'm looking at getting a 10mm and I reload.
I'd like to be able to hunt, plink, and steel plate with it.

From what I've read, the MegaStar is well built but discontinued.

The Glock 20 is popular with hunters and has a large following.

And the Witness 10mm is a great value 10mm. The conversion kits and single action trigger option and the $300 tag make it real attractive.

Which 10mm do you have and how do you like it compared to the others?

KP95DAO

Witness 10mm

I reccomend against the Witness 10mm. Do to my extensive experience with my Witness 45s the 10mm will not hold up. You can look up the threads dealing with the Witness 45 for more info.

ohen cepel

I have the G20 and love it. Order the 6in barrel from Glock ASAP since I have been told that they are discontinuing it.

I liked the Megastar when they were out but haven't seen one in years. Also mags and other items will probably be much harder to get for it. Glock has taken over the world so that won't be a problem there.

CastleBravo

Glock 20 wins...

I owned the Witness and now have a Glock 20C and it's no contest... the Witness isn't a bad gun but the Glock is much more accurate and has more parts & basic accessories available. The Megastar is interesting, but huge even by 10mm standards and no longer produced.

C.B.

BB

Glock 20 here. Absolutely the best 10mm, very accurate, very controlable. Also has the best accessories availible:
15 round factory mags
Factory 6" barrel

viesczy

I have a G20 and G29, both are great guns. Accurate, reliable, durable & lightweight. I love 'em.

As for the Megastar I have handled the 10mm and .45acp version. Both are a little bit on the HEAVY side.

I don't have a 10mm Witness (long story with EAA and a running email about the exact delivery date of the 10mm version), but I do have a .38 S/9x23 Witness and that has been accurate and realibel in .38 S. In 9x23, there have been a few (4) failures to extract with about 750 rounds of 9x23 fired.

I'd take the Glock over anything else that is manufactured in 10mm.

Derek

M

M58

Have the G29 and G20; I would go with one of them depending on your needs.
Ammo: ProLoad, Silvertips, Hornady.

ruger45

I also have a 20 and love it
Ive never had an easier time hitting the sport
3 holes in the head the very first time I fired a gun.
Youve heard the talk on the accessories available
and you know Glocks will be made some time.
I was suprised thought about the comment on the
reliabillity of the witness Ill be looking over that
thread for certain.
I also have a witness 10mm and love it too.
The glock is better not incredibly but you notice the
lesser recoil and better accuracy.
I wouldnt hesitate to use my Witness for defense.
Ive only put a few thousand rounds threw mine
but with cleaning it continues to shoot fine
Im looking at the compact next....
after I read over that thread hmmm.

Whats a megastar?
The only other 10 Ive heard of is the delta elite
and I think their rather exspensive now and no longer
made.

ruger45

Best for you to read yourself but the thread I saw over
2000 didnt look bad to me most of the reviews said good things about the Witness but...
if your going for a 500,000 round gun no repairs
the Glock will be the choice of the two.

David Wile

Hey JT,

I was looking at this old thread and wondered if you ever got to see and try a Megastar 10mm. I have had one for about seven years or so, but it seems they are no longer allowed to be imported. It is a big gun with just about the same profile as a 1911. It is, however, a bit wider and heavier than the 1911, and it is able to hold 14 rounds in the mag. Because of its weight, there is less recoil to me than shooting 9mm Makarovs. I cannot help wondering if there are any other Megastar 10mm owners out there who like the big guy. Also JT, what did you finally get?

Best wishes,
Dave Wiile

J. Parker

The Glock 20 is the best 10mm on the market....What market? You basically have two choices. The Glock or the Witness. Is the Glock twice the gun at twice the price? Hardly. I've had my blued 10mm full size Witness for about a month now and I'm really impressed with this piece. Only about 150 rounds through it so far but it's perfect to this point. It's gotta be THE best value goin' right now in handguns. You want to explore the 10mm arena without going to the poor house? Get the Witness. Best, regards, J. Parker

Marcus

If you like Glocks and have the cash you should probably get the 20 or 29. Check out the 10 Ring Forum on Glocktalk.com for more info. Glocks are great but I don`t personally care for the grip angle, trigger pull or looks, while on the other hand I love CZs and always wanted a Bren X so I went for the Witness 10mm, fullsize, Wonderfinish. It`s well made, has a pretty decent trigger,a great grip, and can be used cocked and locked (which I like). It was cheap enough that I don`t mind tinkering with it a little. After checking up on them I found that the stock recoil springs are far too weak on the .45 and especially 10mm Witness. I replaced it with a 20# Wolff and it still throws brass 30 feet. It also needs an extra power magazine spring, the rounds shift front under recoil when shooting max. loads and it sometimes fails to lock the slide open on the last shot. This only happens with loads over 650fpe. So for about $20 worth of springs it should work great with all loads. If I`d bought it as a pure defensive gun this stuff would bother me but I bought it as a fun gun. After I`m 100% certain it`s reliable,then it may also become a defensive gun (in case we`re invaded by 9' tall aliens or something ):p Marcus

jtduncan

Dave:

I love the Star MegaStars. Had one in 45 ACP and it was accurate and shooting 45 ACP felt like 9mm. I sold it for a Glock 30 though. Wanted a CCW 45.

Anyway, I bought a used G20 with Trijicons and a pair of hi caps for $459. Glock even gave me a new barrel since they had upgraded the fee ramp since then.

I like the MegaStar platform and will come around to getting a 10mm one when funds permit.

But I paln to take a deer this Fall with my G20 and a 6" hunting barrel. Working on some Blue Dot and AA#9 loads to get a 175 grain Silvertip doing 1300 + fps.

Love shooting 10mm. Have some plinking loads with Universal and Power Pistol that I'm testing tomorrow.

I'm even thinking about a S&W 610 revolver to shoot 10mm through. But I'll have to be happy with the Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag that I just bought. Talk about smack down. Fully supported and basicall no OAL issues. I'm loading up some cases with 21-22 grains of some rifle powders for this fall. Like H110 by Hodgdons and getting so 240 JHPs doing 1300 fps. Maybe Mr. Elk will full my freezer?

What about you guys?

How are your 10mm's doing?

David Wile

Hey JT,

Getting a Megastar in 10mm today will not be an easy thing to do. However, about six months ago I was able to get a new Megastar in 45 for my nephew who has been after me for years to sell him my 10mm. He is quite pleased with his 45, so he is now off my back about getting my 10mm. When I bought my 10mm, I also purchased two additional mags for it. That was furtunate because I sure cannot find any Megastar mags. I know the Megastar is a big piece, but I do not understand why it never became a bigger seller here. After all, there are even bigger ones that shoot the bigger cals. I realize the Megastar would not reach the Glock and the small frame markets, but I would have thought it would have been snapped up by the folks in the 1911 market. Mine functions with light and heavy loads, and it is quite accurate - more so than I. I also found the recoil to be quite mild.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

Peter M. Eick

I must be lucky because my early Witness 10mm is really great. It has a very smooth clean breaking trigger, is as accurate or better then my g20 and does not have that squishy glock feel on recoil. I am not nocking my g20, but I really have not ever gotten used to the squishy feel on recoil. To bad Glocks are 100% steel.