With Sig P320 adoption, what happens to M-9?

globemaster3

I just finished reading an article that the USAF is now ordering the Sig P320 along with the Army to replace the M-9. That got my mind to thinking.

We saw in the last few months the DoD release the 1911s to CMP.

Do you think we will see the M-9s released in the same manner in a few years? Sure, it only took them 30-40 years to release the 1911s :rolleyes:...

TunnelRat

From people I’ve talked to that are in and the ones I’ve seen personally in holsters in many cases they’re pretty beat. I can imagine someone who served maybe wanting one. But otherwise, you can find new 92FS models on sale for $450+shipping if you watch sales on gunprime and palmetto state armory. To the general public they also aren’t as classic or “American” as a 1911 and I’m not sure they’d be as collectible. What I’m saying is, would they be worth the cost by the time they’re sent to CMP, graded, and offered for sale? Of course that’s subjective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Watson

Scrap most of them.
Better examples donated to police. At least they fit current LE doctrine better than the refurbished 1911s they have been handing out.

globemaster3

WVsig, I get what you are saying. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that. After all, the 1911s didn’t get melted down after 8 years of democratic control.

Tunnelrat, I can affirm that experience as well for some examples, but not all. I carried the M-9 as aircrew on tons of missions, plus did 2 ground deployments in Afghanistan and Iraq. The ones I had showed a little wear, but by no means would I consider them trashed. In fact, thousands are sitting in supply armories in USAF bases across the world, many never see the light of day.

Jim, that would be reasonable, and probably fit the public narrative better than the police getting used MRAPS...;)

TunnelRat

In fact, thousands are sitting in supply armories in USAF bases across the world, many never see the light of day.

That still doesn't address the low prices of civilian sold 92FS models available now. I get you potentially wanting one because of your service, but I believe my other points still stand.

reddog81

Probably sit in storage as a back-up until the P320 is replaced.

Either that or loaned/given out to police departments. I wouldn't be surprised to see them scraped. Literally anything is possible.

I wouldn't expect to see them for sale by the CMP anytime in the next couple of decades. All the 1911's transferred to the CMP are at least 70 years old.

Jim Watson

that would be reasonable, and probably fit the public narrative better than the police getting used MRAPS

Haven't seen an MRAPS hereabouts but the CAMPUS police here got a couple of Hummers.

ozarkhillbilly

I believe if you offered military carried M9s you would see a market for them, used and abused. Remember just 3 or 4 years ago nobody thought that the CPM would get the 1911s.

kozak6

Once we get a sufficient buildup of P320's, they'll probably get passed out like candy to friendly nations and the remainder will get warehoused.

Bill Clinton had a lot of stuff crunched back in the day. I would be pleasantly surprised if the CMP ever gets these.