Winter concealed carry tips for CCW permit holders

Trebor

Here's my latest Michigan Firearms Examiner article with some tips on cold weather carry. (Yeah, I know I probably should have done this one at the start of winer, but it's been so mild here).

Winter concealed carry tips for CCW permit holders

"As we Michigan residents struggle through another winter this is a good time to review tips for effective concealed carry during the cold weather season."

EDIT: If you missed them, here are links to my two previous articles with tips specifically for new CCW permit holders.

Advice to new concealed carry permit holders

Advice to new CCW holders: Part 2 - Carry like a pro

Last edited:

9mm

I thought about a full size revolver OC under a coat this winter(12~13), I can already CC it okay but I rather carry the 92fs as its lighter.

qqq1

I always have my LCR in my pants pocket but in winter I can stick my S&W 66 right into my heavy jacket's inner breast pocket. It's almost a perfect fit.

arentol

I just use a CC coat in the winter a/o my usual CC messenger bag or tactical shoulder bag, the same ones I use in the summer. The latter two let me carry everywhere (that is legal), have excellent access to my firearm at all times, and actually hold the firearm in my hand ready to draw without anyone seeing when in condition orange or red.

The bags aren't for everyone, but I think most people would love a CC coat if they ever tried one. They really make access fast and simple in the winter and can handle some really large guns without printing if you need them to.

Nnobby45

Keep your coat unbuttoned when you can. When it's too cold and I need to button up, making my primary unreachable, then a 642 in my parka's pocket is rather comforting.

I regularly go into my favorite restaurant, sit down and remove my coat and let it drape over my gun and mag pouch. It's easy to put my arms in the sleeves and put my coat back on before I stand up. Been doing it for years.

treg

I bought my winter coat with CCW specifically in mind. It's long enough to cover a full size auto or large revo in a belt holster. The hand pockets are big enough to carry my snubbie or PT99 with easy access or in your hand. And it's not a real heavy coat, tolerable up to about 50 degrees. Below 30 deg requires a liner of some sort.

Other than that I front pocket carry or have it in a pancake holster.

TheNocturnus

Winter. LOL. It was 70 degrees today... in Missouri. This winter just has not been a winter at all. We've had a total of 2 inches of snow the entire winter. Strange season it has been, very strange.

OT: When it has been cold I make sure my primary is easier to draw by placing my shirt behind it and keeping my jacket over it. I wear it OWB at 4:00 and that way all I have to do is brush my coat back and draw. I don't have to worry about lifting my shirt also.

I also carry a G27 IWB as a BUG.

Trebor

Winter. LOL. It was 70 degrees today... in Missouri. This winter just has not been a winter at all. We've had a total of 2 inches of snow the entire winter. Strange season it has been, very strange.

Yeah, we've had a weird winter in Michigan as well. That's one of the reasons I didn't write this article sooner: It's been so warm I just didn't think of it until recently.

jglsprings

I always have my LCR in my pants pocket but in winter I can stick my S&W 66 right into my heavy jacket's inner breast pocket. It's almost a perfect fit.

I do the same with my Model 60 and Glock 27, I use a Desantis Nemesis for both to keep them oriented correctly in the pocket.

orthosophy

I love winter because I can entertain thoughts of the Blackhawk in a shoulder rig. I never get around to it, but I consider it.

ClydeFrog

Cold weather carry...

If I lived or had any big trips where it gets frosty, I agree that 2 handguns is a smart move.
I'd suggest a larger caliber too so you dont have to worry about power or having the handgun caliber punch thru things like thick leather or down.
A .45LC or .44spl DA only revolver or a .45acp pistol should do okay.
I'd also level or even out the weight on each side. If you have a large or heavy sidearm, pack the speed loaders or speed strips(spare rounds) on the off-side.
To have a large revolver or full size pistol in a shoulder rig with a smaller belt line handgun on the strong side is smart too. ;)
Many cops & PD detectives in large cities or urban areas would carry firearms this way. Make sure you can have quick access or purchase on either weapon with either hand too. Fabric & clothing may snag or bind up in a critical incident.
I was checking out a few slick shoulder holsters from LawmanLeatherGoods.com & Ted Blocker. Aker & Galco sell great shoulder holsters also.
Stay warm & stay safe, ;) .
Clyde

KyJim

Good tips. I would add that someone carrying should also consider caliber and ammo type specifically for cold weather if they carry a gun of "marginal" caliber like .380 or below. They may want to step up to a more powerful caliber or consider using FMJ ammo to insure adequate penetration.

ClydeFrog

KYJim's post, gloves...

I too agree with these remarks. A .45acp, a .41Magnum, a .44spl etc that's big & slow is better than a .380acp or .38spl SWC-HP that can't punch thru a thick coat or crack a wood/metal barrier.
Larger caliber handguns(L or N frame DA revolvers, 1911s/Glock 20-21 size can be "covered" better by a fleece pullover or parka too, ;) .

Another important cold weather factor is gloves & shooting/duty.
Many advanced designs have come out in the last 10-15 years.
PSC & Military supply outfits like 5.11, Hatch, Blackhawk, etc have duty gloves that both protect your digits & be thin enough to allow a smooth trigger pull.
Knowing you can smoothly fire your sidearm(s) in cold weather is required.

I prefer the round(smaller) type trigger guards but weapons like the PPQ, Glock or SIG Sauer may do better with thick gloves(winter).
Clyde