• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Windows 8 and Firing Line Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

603Country

Surely some of you fellows have Windows 8 (I just got it on Monday, with the new PC). Is there some way to arrange to go direct to the forum instead of having to google it up? Maybe there's an app or something.

Just for info, Windows 8 is making me crazy, but I can see that once I have everything set up it'll be a good system. I'm almost finished with all the setups...I think.

Pahoo

Do you have a Desk-Top?

You should be able to add or copy any site to your desk-top as well as favorites. I don't have Windows-8 but can't believe that you cannot do so. .... :confused:

Oh, by the way, consider using Bing. .... ;)
http://www.bing.com/

Be Safe !!!

Strafer Gott

Windows 8 is the proverbial Pole-ish target pistol of operating systems.
Try making a metro tile on your desktop with the URL, similar to the facebook links, et cetera that they provide. Windows 8 is more like a phone operating system.

603Country

Pahoo, if this operating system has 'favorites', I can't find it. That's where I had various sites when I had the previous system (Windows Vista). Gotta say that Win 8, when set up properly, is going to be great. I can see that. But for the last 3 days I've been on a steep learning curve. Whew.

And how in the heck do ya create a metro tile? That might work, if I knew how to do it. Guess I'll go google it up.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
603Country said:
Just for info, Windows 8 is making me crazy, but I can see that once I have everything set up it'll be a good system. I'm almost finished with all the setups...I think.

No it won't because that very sentence defies what a "good system" would be. It's in your way, it's not intuitive and it keeps you from using your computer to do what you want to do, instead of screwing around trying to make Windoze "work". You get it set and it'll work until Adobe or Java or Microsoft or God-knows who will update something and then it won't work again, or until 6 months passes and the registry is so crammed with crap that it takes longer to load a webpage that it should to boot the machine from scratch and you can brew coffee while it "wakes" from sleep.

In any case, setting your home page is explained by Microsoft, here.

"Pinning" your favorites is explained, here.

I'm the "Tech Support" for my entire family and extended family. I've finally told all of them that I'm no longer providing support unless they buy a Mac. It works completely to my advantage because if they don't I simply refer them to HP, Dell, Microsoft, whoever, and if they do, the computer JUST WORKS, is intuitive and functional and I no longer NEED to provide support. The last hold-out just bought one about a month ago. The silence is almost deafening.

craZivn

I'm sorry to say that Windows 8 will probably never stop driving you crazy. In going from Windows Vista to 8, you missed out on the best Windows to date, which was Windows 7!

Every so often Microsoft releases an operating system that is actually better than it's predecessor. These were Windows 95, Windows 98, XP and Windows 7. In between were disasters like Windows ME and Vista. And Windows 8.

I personally am not going to use 8, ever. If they ever stop support for 7 I will switch to Linux. But I'm guessing that the next iteration of Windows will return to the conventional desktop that we know and love. Microsoft has to realize that they trashed a good thing when they tried to make a TOUCH INTERFACE work on a desktop.

/rant

Ivan

Status
Not open for further replies.