Winchster Triggers

rugerfreak

Winchester Triggers

I just got a NIB Winchester Model 70 Classic Super Grade in 7mm Rem mag today.

This gun is beautiful and the stock is simply unbelievable.

Sadly-the trigger is horrible and breaks cleanly at 7 1/2 lbs.
Can I adjust this myself or is this a job better left to the gunsmith? Or would I be better off getting one of the aftermarket triggers?

When I get my trigger problems fixed---I'm going to have it refinished in a dull matte blue finish with Talley rings and bases and have them refinished at the same time---so it all matches.

Then when the tax refund comes---I'll get a Zeiss Conquest or Kahles scope to top it off.

Anyway---any help with the trigger would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

DeBee

Oh yeah! Nice rifle.

The Winchester trigger design has not changed from the Pre '64 to the Classic so this means you have one of the best trigger designs going. It's just lawyer proof in it's current state...

You can adjust it yourself. There is a pretty good rec.guns link in the search archives.

But since you are going to farm out the other work, why not ask your chosen smith to do a nice crispy 3lb pull on that trigger? It will probably run you $30-40 but it seems you are giving this rifle the high end treatment. Why risk it? Is this the rifle you're going to practice on?

Jewell makes M70 aftermarket triggers (not drop in) and they are for target rifles not hunting.

The new Winchesters really respond to a good bedding job too...

rugerfreak

Scoped up--my Super Grade tips the scale at 10 lbs 5 oz-----150 gn bullets gave just barely OK groups------160 grainers tightened up the groups quite a bit.

Now I need to try some 175's and get serious about fixing my trigger problem. The weight of the rifle makes it feel no worse than touching off my .260.

Did a little gun trading today and took home a Model 70 Classic Stainless in .300 Remington Ultra----YES Remington---I no fan of getting beat on--but this deal was too good to pass up-------now my Super Grade has a BIG sister in the cabinet--------I'm also half way home to a new Red Label with some beautiful wood on it with a 7 month lay-a-way. Hurry up Uncle Sam with my money!!

Which after-market trigger is better? Timney or Shilen

Also----What would be the best muzzle brake to have put on the new .300??

Sundance

What would be the best muzzle brake to have put on the new .300??

The best muzzle brake is no muzzle brake...I don't care for them.

If you just have to have one, I have heard nothing but good about the BOSS system. When it first came out, it was available as a factory option on numerous Browning and Winchester rifles. As both of these are owned by the same company, perhaps you could have a BOSS fitted to your rifle. The BOSS has the advantage of being fine-tuneable to balance the harmonics of the barrel and improve accuracy. If you do choose to have a muzzle brake installed, expect the volume (read intensity of the report of the shot) to go up.