Winchester xpr 350 legend

reynolds357

I have one that is running me nuts.
My Ruger literally shoots anything you feed it sub MOA and its' pet load is sub .5 moa.
Now, this Winchester. It won't hit broad side of a barn with doors closed. Have tried two different scopes on it. One Meopta and one Leupold. Shot 4 different factory loads and 3 hand loads. Best it has in it is about 2.5" at 100. Checked bases, lapped rings, Played with action torque. Inspected crown. Floated barrel. Bedded action. Even put a 4 lb pressure point on end or stock foreend. Nothing helped it. Nothing hurt it.
Is this typical of this rifle, or did I just get a lemon?
I have flintlocks that are more accurate with conicals.

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
A big game Hunting rifle that is consistent 2.5" at 100 yards is not a lemon.
It's not a "pearl of great price" but its not a lemon.

Now, if it was inconsistent, and 2.5" was the best it would do, and only do that sometimes, THAT would be a different matter, to me, at least.

Its not a match gun, its not a varmint gun, and while its not the most accurate rifle possible, it will do the job it was made to do, if the shooter does their part correctly.

reynolds357

A big game Hunting rifle that is consistent 2.5" at 100 yards is not a lemon.
It's not a "pearl of great price" but its not a lemon.

Now, if it was inconsistent, and 2.5" was the best it would do, and only do that sometimes, THAT would be a different matter, to me, at least.

Its not a match gun, its not a varmint gun, and while its not the most accurate rifle possible, it will do the job it was made to do, if the shooter does their part correctly.
I am guessing I own 40 plus big game hunting rifles. With the exception of the lever guns, none are over 1.5 MOA, including the Elephant rifles. (I never elephant hunted, but bought them from old man that used to before he died.)

44 AMP

Staff
With the exception of the lever guns, none are over 1.5 MOA,

I have rifles that shoot better than that, and many that don't shoot that well, some are bolt guns.

I think group size isn't something to get hung up on, provided the gun does it job as a big game rifle.

My original (and still favorite) deer rifle shoots about 2" groups. But only if you shoot 5 shot groups. The first shot is right on the mark. 2nd shot on the mark or within an inch. #3 is a bit more out, and the last two open things up to about 2 inches. It's an 18.5" barrel bolt action .308 carbine, and it puts 150s, 165s, and 180s into that same 2". (at 100yds)

Point here is that while the OP isn't happy with that one Winchester's performance, 2-2.5" groups shooting what is essentially a 200yd deer cartridge is hardly "non-performance".

reynolds357

I have rifles that shoot better than that, and many that don't shoot that well, some are bolt guns.

I think group size isn't something to get hung up on, provided the gun does it job as a big game rifle.

My original (and still favorite) deer rifle shoots about 2" groups. But only if you shoot 5 shot groups. The first shot is right on the mark. 2nd shot on the mark or within an inch. #3 is a bit more out, and the last two open things up to about 2 inches. It's an 18.5" barrel bolt action .308 carbine, and it puts 150s, 165s, and 180s into that same 2". (at 100yds)

Point here is that while the OP isn't happy with that one Winchester's performance, 2-2.5" groups shooting what is essentially a 200yd deer cartridge is hardly "non-performance".
I have a 700 30-06 mountain rifle. It has the pencil thin barrel. It is so thin it looks like it should split at any time. A 5 shot rapid fire group from it would literally be 6 moa or better. I can go to my range and shoot the same target every day one time for 5 days and shoot a dime sized group. That rifle is a great hunting rifle.
This stupid Winchester legend is just wild. It patterns, not groups. Cold barrel, hot barrel, it does not care. 2 moa is not up to my specs even for big game.

stagpanther

Meheavey--you have achieved outstanding results with the 350 legend--but with what you have developed which are custom loaded ammunitions that are not remotely close to what what is available factory ammunition--or even likely what the cartridge is tested for in production rifles.

If Reynolds357 does not find the performance of his rifle to fit his needs/expectations--then that is that. It doesn't matter whatever anyone else spins up as their interpretation of adequate performance--it doesn't meet his expectations for adequate performance. He does not have confidence in the rifle, end of discussion. I have a couple of rifles that fit that description--they're dust-collectors in the dark corners of my safes. I have two 350 legend rifles and they actually shoot well for me; I just happen to think it's a poorly designed cartridge that I have little use for.

mehavey

STAG -- see the text underneath the picture in
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6902263&postcount=102

Two key points:
- It took bedding the action to make that XPR settle down.
- It took firm forearm grip because it's such a light rifle.
Actually three points.
- I'm stubborn when it comes to a challenge/something I don't understand.
- My wife hates me, My gunsmith loves me. (don't read to much into that ;) )

postscript: On that note I haven't yet figured out why the 350 LGD is different from the other rimless/straightwall
cousins such as my 450 Bushmaster, BeoWoof -- and for that matter plain old 30 Carbine. But it is.
"There was a little girl . . ."

Last edited:

stagpanther

Yes, I'm aware of your slim-fast 180 hot cor load--I even bought two bullet swagers after seeing your results. I've since printed a picture of your results, framed it and it hung it on my wall.:D

mehavey

Awwwww..... :D

But I agree w/ you that something about the Legend makes its performance dumb-bell shaped:
Very good, or Very Troublesome.

reynolds357

Meheavey--you have achieved outstanding results with the 350 legend--but with what you have developed which are custom loaded ammunitions that are not remotely close to what what is available factory ammunition--or even likely what the cartridge is tested for in production rifles.

If Reynolds357 does not find the performance of his rifle to fit his needs/expectations--then that is that. It doesn't matter whatever anyone else spins up as their interpretation of adequate performance--it doesn't meet his expectations for adequate performance. He does not have confidence in the rifle, end of discussion. I have a couple of rifles that fit that description--they're dust-collectors in the dark corners of my safes. I have two 350 legend rifles and they actually shoot well for me; I just happen to think it's a poorly designed cartridge that I have little use for.
Agreed. I traded the win in on another Ruger. First ammo I threw in it, five shots touching at 100. 5/8" group. Only thing I did to Ruger was cut 3 coils off trigger spring and re torque action at 65 in lbs.

reynolds357

STAG -- see the text underneath the picture in
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6902263&postcount=102

Two key points:
- It took bedding the action to make that XPR settle down.
- It took firm forearm grip because it's such a light rifle.
Actually three points.
- I'm stubborn when it comes to a challenge/something I don't understand.
- My wife hates me, My gunsmith loves me. (don't read to much into that ;) )

postscript: On that note I haven't yet figured out why the 350 LGD is different from the other rimless/straightwall
cousins such as my 450 Bushmaster, BeoWoof -- and for that matter plain old 30 Carbine. But it is.
"There was a little girl . . ."

Bedding didn't help my Win. Pressure point slightly helped it, but bedding did nothing.

stagpanther

Bedding didn't help my Win. Pressure point slightly helped it, but bedding did nothing.
Winchester is another company that has a somewhat convoluted recent history of ownership and management. I purchased a model 70--never having had one or being able to afford one--that was made entirely by FN in Portugal I believe. It turned out to be a heart-breaker, not nearly the quality of other model 70's I've shot. It happens.