Winchester vs s&b brass

AL45

I picked up some Winchester and s&b brass at the Police range and after cleaning, inspecting the primer size and depriming, I primed all of them with a Lee hand primer using Winchester primers. The Winchester brass ranged from very easy to very difficult to prime. The s&b brass all took a fair amount of force to prime, but was much more consistent. Does s&b primer pockets normally run a little small? Is Winchester normally that inconsistent? It took a lot of squeezing to seat the primers in some of both of these, what are the odds of setting off a primer with this kind of force?

Clark

S&B brass for 7.62x54R is a total pain with the large Boxer primer pockets being too small.................bad

S&B brass for 7.62x25mm is amazing with the small Boxer primer pockets being stronger than Starline..................good

Winchester pistol cases work well for reloading. S&B might be crimped so you have to remove the crimp. Even if they are not crimped they are tighter than most other cases. I find they start to loosen up after reloading a few times to the point where they are like once fired Winchester. You can use a swagger to get them to fit better for that first reload. Other than tight primer pockets S&B pistol brass works pretty well. I always check S&B cases to make certain I have seated the primers fully.

jag2

Been discussed many times and I think everyone agrees S&B has tight primer pockets. Personally I like them but as MD said you do need to be a little more aware when you prime them. I use the Lee hand primer so it is easy to feel the difference. I also have the Lee Ergo hand primer which gives you a lot more leverage/power so if I have a lot of S&B I will get it out, that way I'm sure I have a well primed case. I've never been so brass rich that I reject anything, maybe ones that have been stepped on but that's about it.

WESHOOT2

yes no maybe

I have never unwantingly ignited any primer (except, two in a row, around 1978, using a LEE hammer-'em-together kit :rolleyes:).

mnoirot64

I just worked with some once fired S&B 357 SIG brass this morning. After finding the primer pockets to be very tight, I quickly ran my reamer and pocket uniformer tool through them. They were much easier to work with after I had done so and the primers seated with more authority - almost as if they clicked in instead of slid in. They seem tough and well made in this caliber.

kerreckt

I have found S&B brass to have tight primer pockets but to be of good quality and consistent. I like it very much for reloading.

pathdoc

I found .303 S&B gave inexplicable misfires in one of my Lee-Enfields, and I second what has been said about the tight primer pockets. I have only ever seen the one box of it, and I would not go out of my way to seek out more, but to each their own.

One thing for sure; I would not recommend priming on the press for this brass.

Smokey Joe

Ka-Bang'ing a primer...

AL 45--I'm with Weshoots on this one--My only primer "bangs" were with a Lee Hammer-It-In kit back in the day.

Primers require a sharp blow (like a firing pin for example) to ignite. Steady pressure won't do it.

I now use Lee Auto-Prime tools. I've even mashed a primer into the pocket SIDEWAYS, believe it or not, without the primer detonating. You'd think I'd have noted the extra pressure required, and checked, but no, Mr. Stubborn here just kept on squeezing.

Anyhow, I think that getting a primer into an S&B case won't cause a detonation. In the very unlikely event of one happening, that Lee tool of yours is designed to isolate the primer being inserted, so it can't cause a chain detonation of the primers waiting their turn.

BigJimP

Yes, I find the same inconsistency in Winchester cases...and it aggravates me too..../ If I meet any resistance to speak of when I'm trying to prime the case, I toss that case out..../ and I'm not sure what is causing the issues with Winchester cases...taper pockets, inconsistent quality control, etc.

and I toss all of the S&B brass out - the tapered primer pockets are aggravating on them too...

pathdoc

I've just realised that I probably wasn't clear about what I was saying regarding not priming on the press with S&B brass and feel I should clarify. My one experience of on-press priming with S&B (RCBS Partner Press and CCI large rifle primers for the record) was one of utter frustration.

In fact, I have through experience come to dislike on-press priming in general, so much so that I feel far more comfortable slamming the little buggers in with a Lee Loader (I've put over a hundred rounds together so far without any primer blowups, and believe me, I've really really tried). My tool of choice, however, is an RCBS hand primer.

chiefr

If you use European cases, you will find many different brands are difficult to prime. There is less contour around the primer pocket and some primers may have a slight crimp.
Unlike MIUSA brass, most Europeans never catered to reloaders.
Nothing wrong with the brass, it can be a PITA on a progressive and like one poster said, run a deburr or pocket tool.
Some may require swaging out the slight crimp.

Having said all that, there are exceptions: Norma, Lapua, and Prvi.