Winchester USA Forged Steel Cased 9mm

JDBerg

Anybody try this yet? If so what gun(s)? Wally's is selling it for $28.63 for 150 rounds, so I got a few boxes. I figure I'll try it out in the Glock 17.

Sharkbite

Ive shot 2 boxes (300rnds) thru my G19. Fed, fired and ejected just like brass cased stuff.

I think its fine for range fodder. Id be sure to clean the chamber REALLY good afterwards. Ive seen Wolf steel cased ammoe leave a build up in the chamber that becomes problematic after about 500 rnds.

carguychris

One wonders if public shooting ranges will allow this ammo, given that it uses conventional copper-jacketed lead-core bullets rather than bimetal, and therefore won't create the same ricochet, fire, and equipment-damage problems that Eastern European bimetal-bullet ammo does.

I'm not holding my breath. :rolleyes:

(FWIW without fully rehashing a bunch of threads on the topic... regardless of what you may have heard at the gun store counter, steel-case ammo bans at shooting ranges are seldom related to selling brass to handloaders. Most ranges collect far more .380/9/.40/.45 brass than they can possibly sell at retail, and they sell the excess for scrap.)

Last edited:

Model12Win

Nothing wrong with steel cased shells.

Cheaper, just as good as brass. Non-reloadable, but an affordable alternative to brass ammo for us home skillets who don't "do the reloadings" as it were.

scoobysnacker

Nothing wrong with steel cased shells.

Cheaper, just as good as brass.
I have shot a ton of steel-cased 9x18 ammo without any incident.

I had an extractor on a CZ 75 break, while only shooting brass.

That said, is there anything definitive on the risk (or lack thereof) of breaking an extractor sooner with steel cases? One way or the other?

Sharkbite

I just bought 2 more boxes (300 rds) to shoot at a range that wont allow me to recover my brass. Came to about 19cents a round.

If i cant recover the brass, i might as well shoot this stuff:rolleyes:

scoobysnacker

Yikes, just noticed the price. I've stocked up on ammo now, after learning my lesson during the ammo drought. If you buy by the case, you can usually find brass cased ammo for around that price. I got a case of Aguila 124 gr when someone had it at $8.99 per box/50.

slugchucker

Winchester USA Forged 9mm

You're still shooting "brass" w/ these rounds. The casing is steel but, the lead core bullet is brass jacketed. How does the discussion trend on the pros or cons of brass jacketing? I've shot 300 rds, two boxes, of 115gr 9mm thru a gen3 G19 @ the range. Nothing out of the ordinary to report.