Winchester "transition model"

skywag

To what does this term refer?

I've seen ads for "transition models" from several different decades.

30-30remchester

Been a Winchester collecter for a few more decades than I care to admit, and the term can be confusing. When introduced, a long production run of a certain model can go through changes yet is still the basic same basic gun. Many times these changes arent for the betterment of design but instead a cost cutting measure. When a certain production run near the end of its life and before the new designs are fully inplimented, the factory will use up old style parts on the newer style. These then become transitional models. In the case of the model 70, this transition was from a difficult to mount a scope early model, then the transitional model designed to facilitate a scope better, yet within a year Winchester once again changed the design to even better facilitate a scope that remained through the remainder years of production. This interem year was known as a transitional model.

okbob51

If it's the pre-64 model 70 transition you are writing about here are a few of the changes that began in 1946 and were complete in 1948 (roughly).
1. the bluing changed from charcoal to hot blue
2. the doll's head tang was changed to standard
3. the safety lever was changed
4. the positioning of the safety lever was changed
5. the rear bridge was drilled and tapped for scope mounting
6. the lines per inch of the wood checkering was reduced
7. the shape of the bolt sleeve was changed to fit the new safety
8. the barrel markings were changed
9. the stock shape was changed
10. maybe other changes that I can't come up with.

The most recognizable difference is the safety lever itself. The "transition" safety was only made for 2-3 years and it too was changed. The transition was a number of changes but the style of the safety lever is what got coined...transition.