Winchester SX-AR

TexAg

I purchased a Winchester SX-AR off gunbroker last night. I've read as much as I could find on it and it's near twin the FNAR. I handled one at Cabela's, but have not shot one. I will have it in my hands for less than $1k.
I'm eagerly awaiting it's arrival! I'm going to put my Trijicon 3-9x Accupoint on it. Anyone here have the Win. or FN version and how do you like it? I'm hoping to take it coyote and pig hunting in a couple if weeks and in the fall I'll probably use it for deer. If it's as accurate as I've read then I expect to be pretty happy.

SmokyBaer

I LOVE MY FNAR!! :D

Most accurate auto I ever shot. Dime sized groups with Federal Premiums and not so bad with Hornady match either. Mine wears a NightForce 3.5x15 and sometimes wish i'da went for the longer optics to 20-25x, maybe.

It's cool popping oranges and dancing coke cans at 300yards!

Here's mine...

MVC-852X.jpg

TexAg

Well I took it out today in the 100 degree heat, whew! I put my Trijicon 3-9x accupoint on it with high Leupold quick release rings. It's what was on the scope already and enabled me to slap the scope on and go shooting. I dropped by the gun store before I went to the range to see if they had any medium or low rings that would fit on the picatinny rails, but they didn't have any in, so I ordered some. I don't care to have high or quick release rings on it since there are no iron sights on it.
But in any case, I shot it with what I had. I sighted in with Wal-Mart Federal Power Shok 150 grain. I ended up getting about a 1.5 inch group. I then shot some Federal Fusion and got some decent groups, but I ended up shooting the whole ten round mag into one 4" group. Would have been 3" but for a flyer on the second shot. I did have one failure to feed during this 10 shot string, not sure what caused it, but it was very hot and these Fusion bullet tips had gotten flattened quite a bit. The only cleaning I did was using a boresnake every 2-4 shots.
I have some 150 SST Hornadys on order and look forward to trying to shoot some better groups. But I definitely have it in the kill zone for any varmints we may see at the deer lease Sunday.
It was very pleasurable to shoot (WAY more than my AK I shot later). The trigger had some creep, but was not heavy. Recoil was well absorbed. The rubber butt pad and cheek piece made it especially nice.
Once the new rings come in I'll take it out again and shoot for some new groups with some different ammo.
I'd like to try some match ammo too. The Accupoint with orange triangle is not the best pinpoint accurate scope in my opinion, although it's great for low light for pigs and yotes.

Logs

I was in a shop the other day and a guy had ordered one in. Sweet looking rifle. I looked into extra mags and wow are they expensive. Looks like a good buy.

BusGunner007

Thanks for the 30-minute detour...!!!

:D

I just went all over the web looking at the FNAR aka BAR.
Which made me wonder:

Will that stock/forend setup work on my MkII Safari ???
If it would fit that model Browning BAR, well, I have a new project to consider.

TexAg

Well, the fore end is for a heavy barrel, so I'm not sure it would work. I don't know why the stock and pistol grip would not work though. The biggest difference besides the heavy barrel from the BAR is the magazine well they put on there, which is quite well done I might add.
Oh, and my one feed issue: I think there is a pretty good chance it was the ammo. I examined the last ten round of the 165 gr Fusion I had and almost all the tips look like they were sloppily finished. They were very flat with some lead hanging off in places or just very uneven looking. My '06 150 gr Fusion looks 100% better than this stuff. I "rolled" the edges of the .308 bullets last night to clean them up a little.

Logs

I found a shop today with 20 Rd FNAR mags for $53 if you are interested PM me.

How about a PIC...?

TexAg

Still doing this from iPhone so still no pic

Any reccomendations on permanent rings to put on the two piece picatinny rails?