Winchester SuperX2- First Impressions

Kingcreek

Shot 3 rounds of skeet last night with the new dedicated waterfowl buster. Not too bad.
My shooting started out pretty respectable. Shot about as I have been with my Beretta 390 sporting model but soon deteriorated due to heavy fatigue on my part (rough week). The 26" barrel seems bout right to me. Overall weight and length balances nicely between the hands. The high, wide rib with single white front bead makes for quick and easy sighting. No glitches at all even with light target loads. Cycling is fast and the 7lb.3oz. wt makes recoil very tolerable. The black synthetic stock is nicely proportioned and alot cheaper than the same stock in camo. I may not be able to counterfeit a perfect Advantage wetlands dipped camo but for $5 I can make it just as hard for the ducks and geese to see. The option of using 3.5" shells is there if I decide I need it.
on the downside: the trigger is heavy and rough. a little work on it tonight took it in the right direction but it needs more help.
I'm sure the SX2 is a keeper. It will take some scars and thereby save some other shotguns from the trauma of the mud, ice, dogs, boat bangs, etc and will probably collect some meat along the way.
If my Browning 3.5" BPS doesn't sell next weekend at the gunshow I'm going to give it to my rancher friend in ND when I go out in Oct.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Sounds like a keeper to me, KC. For waterfowl, I like a shotgun of at least 7 1/2 lbs, but I'm sure this would work nicely after a bit of practice.

Most shotguns these days can use some trigger work.

HSMITH

Good post. Keep us posted on what you think if you can. I love mine but still like to know what others think of the X2.

The trigger will smooth out nicely with about 15K rounds through it, AMHIK. 7/8 oz loads will function nicely with 18.5 grains of Clays too, AA hull, win primer, and WAA12SL wad.

Kingcreek

15,000 rounds???
not thru a hunting gun in my lifetime.
I'll probably work on my trigger little by little to get it acceptable hopefully without going too far. The hammer and sear appear to be hardened or tempered and cut (edm?) with a little bit of hook. makes it real hard to get a hone in there on the engagement surfaces.
another SX2 plus: it is easier to disassemble and clean than my Beretta 390.
gonna try to get into some doves tommorrow.

Kingcreek

week 2- I'm really liking this shotgun
Shot skeet again Thursday pm. 4 rounds (100 targets) and shot my best score of the year.
got into the doves last night after work and shot a limit (15 birds) by sunset.
I'm slowly honing the trigger in the right direction. the creep is smoothing out but still heavy. the spring does not lend itself to easy tuning like the 870/110 set.
another thumbs up- The SX2 gas system is way easier to clean than my 390.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Glad it's working for you, however....

I'm not real crazy about homemade trigger jobs. Some folks go too far, some leave too little metal to handle any wear, and just cuz' it's good now doesn't mean it'll stay that way.

I'll change the oil in my car but the folks who know more about brakes will get to do the brakes.

If that trigger's under 6 lbs, it's workable. If you want a good lighter pull,and I like them greatly,pay a pro to do it. Last trigger job I had was $35. I've had others done for $50. It's cheap insurance...

Meanwhile, good luck with your Shotgun, I can almost smell those doves on the grill(G)....

Kingcreek

thanks for the tip Dave,
I'm not a pro so what I have done is basically real light honing of the contact surface to accomplish what would eventually happen with normal use anyway. just took some of the gritty drag off. I probly won't do any more with it until next time I drop the trigger group for routine cleaning and look it over close then.
The doves are really flying. didn't have time to harass them today but a neighbor was chopping sileage so I got an idea where I'll be tomorrow.
btw-1oz dove loads have all cycled perfectly.