Winchester Rifles complaints.

joshua

I've been browsing through the Winchester guns and it seems they have some nice models with great features. BUT there is always something I disagree with. The Ultimate Shadow Classic seems like a nice rifle with the pre-64 type extractor with all the nice features except for the ugly looking stock. Anyone care to comment on that awful looking stock.

Now the SS Coyote Lite and Coyote in 325 WSM is my ideal long range/large game/big bear rifle, until I found out its a CRPF instead of the pre-64 extractor feature. Anyone care to comment on the reliability of the CRPF action?

Now the 70 classic stainless in 300 or 325 WSM is a very nice looking rifle, but for all my hunting rifles I prefer synthetic stocks. I think Winchester needs a nice synthetic stock - what do you think?

josh

BusGunner007

CONTROLLED-ROUND-PUSH-FEED... :rolleyes: :D

A 're-invention', if you will.
The SUPER SHORT rounds were SO-oooooo short, they couldn't be 'controlled'!!!
They had to be 'pushed', too...
HA-HA-HA.
It does sound a bit weird.

I need to investigate this further, being a Remington 700 enthusiast. :)

joshua

I don't like the CRPF even if I don't have an experience with it. I've had two Winchester 70 rifles and both were the push feed variant. I never had a problem with the .270 but still sold it for a Mark X in .270Win and never looked back until they brought back the pre-64 action again. I did buy a Win 70 HBV in 22-250 and it is also the push feed variant. This is where I first exprerienced the importance of the pre-64 or mauser type extraction. My 22-250 will leave the case on top of the magazine after it is extracted from the chamber. Some folks like that in a varmint gun so they don't have to pick up any brass, but it's a real pain in the arse when you are trying to do a fast follow up. Can you imagine if you were hunting dangerous game and your rifle fails to eject the spent cartridge? I thing the CRPF are in the same boat as the push feeds. josh

churchillburke

I'd like others' opinions on the CRPF mechanism as opposed to the CRF (controlled round feed). My guess is that it is neither fish nor fowl not a viable alternative for the CRF when hunting dangerous game.

joshua

Ooopss...

Actually I shot my mouth off too quickly on the CRPF. It looks like it is stronger than the standard push feed extractor. How many folks do you think use a rifle when hunting games that can fight back with a Mause type extractor?

crpf2_m.jpg

"Dangerous Game" Rifles Ha!Ha!Ha!

I get a kick out of the "controlled feed" argument, makes me think of all the other "push feed" rifles like the various AK's, SKS, M1 Garand, M14/M1A, FN FAL, all the HK's, Mini-14, M1 Carbine, French MAS, Styer Aug, SVT40, G43, all the Galil's, STG 57, SR80 and many, many others.

Apparently these rifles aren't suitable for "dangerous game" either :D

RCR

BusGunner007

Welcome to TFL, RazorCityRifleman.
Shhhhh...someone might get bent outta shape about what you said...! :D
( I like it, but I seem to be in the minority when it comes to favoring the Remington 700's and PushFeed --- not to mention I'm 'opinionated'... ).:eek:
Anyway, the CRPF looks like the political equivalent to the 'viable 3rd Party'.:p

DimitriS

RazorCity,

Welcome to TFL! :D

Anyways Controlled Feed is over rated in my books too. Push feeds work wonders. ;)

Anyways in that list I can find quit a few rifles that if a big angry charging animal was comming right at me I rather have then a bolt action Controlled Feed :p

PS Bus my first rifle I am gonna actually have bought will be a M700 that I am going to get in about a month :D .... been using my dads guns still :eek: Only gun I own right now though is a FN49 and its in great shape and its also push feed ;)

Dimitri

brianidaho

Joahua, I'm glad you posted this, I'm also looking for feedback from people with hands-on experience with the CRPF action.

In principle-the main CRF benefit is that it engages and guides a round all the way from the mag to chamber, and will extract a round if the action is "short stroked", rather than leaving a round partially in the chamber and then feeding another round, resulting in a jam. Also supposed to be stronger. The push feed design advantage is that you can single load and the extractor will snap around a case fed directly into the chamber.

CRPF hybrid is supposed to accomplish both of these things, sounds like the best of both worlds. Great from an "armchair hunting" standpoint.

Need feedback from people that have used it!!! Has anyone seen any failures with a CRPF extractor?

Bri

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
How this new deal from Winchester will play out, I dunno.

As far as the arguments about push vs. control, consider the general absence of dangerous game in the U.S. Why worry about controlled feed when Bambi hunting? I can sure buy in to the views of guys like H&H, Hunter; he's BTDT on dangerous game, and I haven't

I've never short-stroked a rifle. That part of the push-feed deal seems to me to be only from a lack of familiarity with the rifle, and so, shame on the guy who doesn't know what he's doing.

The case head of the cartridge is more fully supported with push feed. An Oops! from reloading wrong is less likely to cause a problem. The push-feed system can stand higher pressures.

Give Winchester credit for trying to have the best of both worlds. Will it work? Like I say, I dunno.

FWIW, Art

joshua

Art, It's true we don't have any game animal in the US considered dangerous, but Grizzlies, wolfves, wild boars and mountain lions can turn dangerous if given the right setting. Not too many reports on those animals charging, but if you were hunting alone and those animals feel they can take you down as easy picking just the sight of them stalking near you will make you nervous. That's when "Murphy" can wreak havok in your skills and equipment.