Winchester Ranger Bonded "Law Enforcement" Ammunition

So, my wife and I are in the beginning stages of acquiring our CCW permits. Our county sheriff seems to have a change of heart on issuing as long as we "demonstrate responsibility". I personally don't see any compelling difference with the various current self defense ammo out there today. I have Federal HydroShoks, CorBons, Federal Personal Defense, Remington Golden Sabers, etc. at my disposal for HD. When I was at the gun shop yesterday, the owner had the said ammo in the title. The bullet is 124gr. charged at +P rating. A box of 50 was quite a bit cheaper than the equivalent to buying 50 rounds worth of actual advertised defense ammo. With that in mind, I'm considering using this for CCW barring any malfunctions with using it in our firearms. But first, I had some questions.

Is this really ammunition designated for law enforcement or is it merely a glorified advertisement?

Is there any setbacks to using this for defensive purposes? I'm going to confirm with my county sheriff on what ammunition is authorized for use in his department for reference.

Any tests publicly documented using it? I haven't really looked into it much since it would be for academics more than anything. Figured there's more than a few members that are more computer savvy than I. Besides, I'm too lazy and I live here. (How's that for a lousy excuse?).

I have been told that it is the same as the ol' Black Talons that Winchester used to make. It's just been rebranded, due to all the flak the Black Talons took...more along the racial and political lines. If you know what I'm saying.

Bill

Last edited:

armsmaster270

It's not the Talons per se it is a redesigned bullet but it does have the talons and is standard issue for some departments

From winchester's LE Catalog http://www.winchester.com/lawenforcement/catalog/newproductview.aspx?lawnewproductid=3&name=Ranger Bonded

Winchester 9mm Luger +P (124) Bonded JHP

Symbol: RA9BA – Winchester Ranger Bonded

Shellcase: 9mm Luger +P nickel plated brass shellcase

Bullet: 124 grain (8.0 gram) Bonded JHP; Bullet Jacket Bonded to Lead Core
Diameter .355 inch (9.02 mm)

Powder: Clean burning, low flash

Primer: Winchester non-corrosive primer, boxer type

Accuracy: Product Mean of 2.50 inches (6.35 cm) Extreme Spread
5 shot targets at 50 yards (45.7 m) from a 4 inch (10.2 cm) SAAMI test barrel

Velocity: 1169 ft/sec (356 m/s) nominal at 15 ft (4.6 m)
Fired in a 4 inch (10.2 cm) standard SAAMI test barrel

Energy: 376 ft-lb (510 joules) nominal at 15 ft (4.6 m)
Fired in a 4 inch (10.2 cm) standard SAAMI test barrel

Pressure: 38,000 psi max. average (2621 bars)

Waterproofing: Lacquer applied to primer annulus

There is nothing wrong with using them as a civilian and there is no law against it except New Jersey where you cannot carry any hollow points Winchester does not sell them to civilians but dealers will sell surplus stock to civilians.

Last edited: