Winchester Pre-64 9422M Rifle Questions

mxitman

I found a local deal on a Winchester Pre-64 9422M Rifle. I have never owned a .22 WMR and was just wondering if you can shoot .22LR in it or just the .22 winchester magnum round.

I also checked on gun broker and other sites and found the older 9422M to be $600-$900 but most of those seemed in pretty good shape. This one has considerable areas of blue missing from the top of the barrel and the receiver area. I'm not good at judging the percentage but probably 60-70% left?

Any idea of price? The action is smooth and barrel rifling looks good, and the wood stock has a few small dings but is very nice.

Been looking for one in .22LR but can't find any for under $500 that are Pre-64. Should I get this one for $250?

roklok

There is no such thing as a pre 64 9422, they were introduced in 1972. And no, it is not safe to fire 22LR in a 22WMR. Do what I did and buy one of each! They are delightful little rifles.

mxitman

Thanks, sorry I posted in the wrong forum. Ok I'm going to check with the dealer. He posted on the tag pre-64 so that info is good to know, I think I'm going to pick it up anyway...can't hurt to have it for a future trade. Thanks!

roklok

If it is in good mechanical shape, $250.00 doesn't sound like a bad price. They have been going up in price since they were discontinued about 4 years ago.

batmann

As mentioned, there is no 'Pre-64' 9422. I have one with checkered walnut in .22M and it one of my favorite rifles. You can ONLY shoot .22M in it.