Winchester Model 94 in 30-30

O/U Mike

I have a chance to pick up one of these NIB that was manufactured in 1980. What was Winchester's reputation at that point in time? Any issues I should be concerned with?

Scorch

The Winchester 94 from that period had changed back to machined cartridge carriers from stamped metal, and are generally very reliable, relatively accurate. You might have trouble mounting a scope on one, but that should be a non-issue. I would get it just as a safe gun, never to be fired.

CERBERUS

Para Bellum said:
it doesn't side-eject. Scope-mount is a problem.

why does everyone feel the need to put a scope on everything these days?

I have a winchester 94 in 30-30 with the stapmed feel plate, I am restoring it to be a barn gun, as i don't think that since it will be refinished it will be worth much.

dave0520

Get it, shoot it, love it. It's a truely American gun. I have a new one that was made just before Winchester closed shop and it is a fantastic rifle.

News Shooter

Winchester changed its manufacturing process

in the mid-60's. It is generally considered that pre-64 models are of much better quality. But if it's new in the box, hold onto it and PLEASE don't put a scope on it. That destroys the value.:D

OJ

Opinions differ (fortunately - otherwise we'd all be driving Yugos and lack of competition would price them out of range for most of us) but I cringe at the thought of a scope on this rifle. The Williams FP 94/36 does such a good job on anything within decent range for a 30-30.

AWINCHESTER94.jpg

BUFFALOBILL94A.jpg

Doesn't even require drilling or tapping.

:D :D

SOSARMS

The quality of those of that year are second to none....very good fit finish and function...As far as collectability, that is subject to debate, but with thousands of then showing up on websites and auctions, as well as in personal collections , i wouldn't expect to reitre on its value...Those of that year, with S/N below approx. 5,200,000, are top eject versions. And if you DO want to install a scope mount, most are side mount to avoid shells exiting from hitting the base....SHOOT IT !!! It's a gun :)

gak

They are fine - approaching days of yore (pre 64). I have a next-to-new 77 just purchased that also has the re-improved machined internals (and a return to better external receiver metal) and it is fine. Not sure when they changed back to the better metals and production processes but it was before mine. Keep it, enjoy it. Jury's out on whether to actually shoot it at your late date (approaching the end of the top eject run). I'm with those wondering about a scope on these: I say don't even think of putting a scope on a top eject, enjoy it for what it is which in non-scope form is about where the basic goodness of the gun is anyway (no AE flames please, those are great too for the scope option they do offer). I say shoot it and enjoy it and pass it on down to the next generation in whatever form it is by then, unless it is virtually new = safe gun.